[Vision2020] Tone of Responses (was : child forced back/was Romney drops out!?)

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:57:16 PST 2008

Saundra et. al.

It appears that separating "personality" from discussion of ideas, facts and
issues, is almost impossible for most people.  I don't really care about the
personalities of Vision2020 list members, at least in terms of list
serve discussion.  I don't want to appear callous.  I just think that a
persons personality often has nothing to do with the truth or falsehood of
statements made on a list serve.

If someone makes an argument or presents a fact that contradicts something I
wrote, I don't take it personally, well, unless the writer obviously words
their post in this manner, in which case I have a general policy of simply
ignoring the post.

There is no need to play a tit for tat game of "getting the better" of
someone if someone disagrees, though I may continue to argue my side if I
think the arguments or facts presented to contradict what I wrote are weak,
or are grossly misleading Vision2020 list members.  I am happy to be brought
closer to the truth on a given issue if someone reveals my understanding to
be flawed.  Those who have a strong respect for the objective search for
truth, welcome well reasoned and researched disagreement.

Of course someones expertise, whether they are a lawyer, legislator,
philosopher etc. is relevant to the veracity of the statements they bring to
the list.  And a tendency to lie, or be honest, distort someones statements,
or accurately quote them, deny facts or accept them, refuse to consider
valid arguments, or concede when good arguments are made, etc, are all
approaches to dialog that no doubt are connected to a person's personality.

But what I mean in part is that people who are kind, generous, honest, hard
working, and loyal often quote facts and make arguments that are entirely
false.  And cruel, selfish, lazy and untrustworthy people also express ideas
that are quite true.

Being a "good" person does not automatically mean someone has a good grasp
of reality... And being a "bad" person does not mean someone lacks a grasp
of reality.  In fact, sometimes it appears "bad" people see the world
without the rose colored glasses of those wishing to see the best in other
people, so they perceive the world of human motivation and conduct more
accurately.

Ted Moffett