[Vision2020] Tone of Responses (was : child forced back/was Romney drops out!?)

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 19:21:56 PST 2008

I'm not the final arbiter on the behavior of Vision2020 members.  I just
think this would be a happier place if we all just took one on the chin
and refused to send that well-crafted put down when we find something
objectionable.

I used to post on Usenet in the early 90's, and have had my fill of
put-downs, flaming, throwing old responses back in people's faces,
striving to drive other posters to tears with maximum efficiency and
panache.  I'm not talking about simply standing by and watching the
destruction happen, I actively participated.  I got pretty good at it,
too.

This was back before the web when the Internet was the domain of geeks
of various levels and very few others, at least until AOL started giving
access to Usenet to your average non-geek.  That was hell.  I hadn't
been back to some of my old stomping grounds for years, but decided to
go see what was going on a couple of months ago.  The same people were
still there for the most part, slugging out the same battles and were
generally stuck in a never-ending loop of flame, indignation, reprisal,
indignation, and back to flaming again.  It was rather sad.  I even felt
bad for the guy that had tried to get me fired for posting using my
University account.  That's where I learned to keep my work and home
online lives separate.

Anyway, you can all do what you want.  It's none of my business,
anyway.  I'm just suggesting that you learn from my experiences.  No
skin off my nose if you don't.

Paul