[Vision2020] Fragments of our Lord

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Dec 30 10:13:28 PST 2008

Joe,

We may all have irrational beliefs.  However, the point Chasuk via Freud was making is this:

Part of becoming an adult is to begin weighing evidence to decide if important* beliefs are really true; and to begin weighing the evidence for our important* beliefs when they are challenged by evidence and logic, as in this forum, or by reflection and/or direct experience.

As for making fun of people's beliefs, religious or otherwise, a lot of great literature does just that.  Should we just throw this literature away?  Is it somehow unworthy because it uses humor to make a point about various irrationalities?

Further, some religious beliefs are very harmful, for example, those that led to the inquisition, those that support clitoridectomy or witch hunts, and those that promulgate racism, homophobia, sexism, ethnic discrimination, theocracy, etc.  If humor can be used as a tactic to emasculate/eviscerate/point out the folly these toxic beliefs, why not?  Humor often works in persuasive discourse when other methods fail.

[Not sent from an iPhone.]

W.

*Beliefs that shape and determine our actions especially when the outcome of these beliefs affects, directly or indirectly, other sentient beings.