[Vision2020] Energy Crisis Solution Proposal WAS: RE: NASA's... Temperature Summaries

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 13:35:16 PST 2008

Actually, the idea of large scale high tech use of animals to solve food
and/or energy crises is seriously proposed by futurists.  The excellent
Swedish environmental documentary "The Planet," which outlines at one point
four possible futures for humanity (Star Trek, Mad Max, Ecotopia, and Big
Government), presents the idea of "pig skyscrapers" (a "Star Trek" high tech
solution) that would produce large amounts of food and energy (pig manure),
built on the entrance to the harbor in Amsterdam.  They show animation of
tall skyscrapers housing pigs as this plan is discussed by a futurist.

This environmental documentary is one of the best (if not the best) I have
seen.  Many of the worlds leading environmentalists, researchers and
scientists are interviewed.  I like it better than Gore's "Inconvenient
Truth," the Leonardo DiCaprio narrated "11th Hour," and CNN's "Planet In
Peril" series.  YouTube presents some excerpts (URL lower down), but I'm not
sure the entire documentary is offered.  There is another source offered
below that might provide downloads of the entire documentary.  LinkTV ran
"The Planet" numerous times.  I attempted to purchase a hard copy, but I
have not found a source on DVD, VHS, Blu-ray or...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planet

The TV adaptation consists of four episodes of 50-60 minutes:

   - Part 1: The Earth System
   - Part 2: Nature's Resources
   - Part 3: Humankind and Nature
   - Part 4: Choices and Consequences

This URL below offers downloads (which I did not even bother to try with
dial-up) of "The Planet."  It appears there are different versions of the
documentary:

http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=59430&lid=puff_941543&lpos=lasMer

YouTube excerpts of "The Planet:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6d15msvjbk