[Vision2020] Donovan, Canadians ARE Americans!

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 21 17:48:56 PST 2008

Donovan Arnold wrote:
> Paul,
>
> At least 12 of them admitted to playing a part on attacking the United States on 9/11. Where do you suppose we place potentially violent people that hate the US and no other country will take them?

We really have two options.  Try them in court if we have evidence
against them, or let them go.  The 12 you speak of we should have a fair
chance at trying in a court of law and getting a conviction, assuming
it's true that they admitted to playing a part in the attack.  If we
have no evidence for the others, then we should let them go.  I don't
know where they should be placed - that's a whole other question.
Perhaps we could stop torturing them while we try to find a place that
will take them?

> Do you think we should have individually tried each Nazi before imprisoning them?

Before imprisoning them, no.  The Nazi situation is different, though.
We were in an actual declared-by-Congress war.  That makes them
prisoners of war, and we have rules for how they can be handled.  Rules
which Bush & Co. told us need not apply to those in Gitmo, as they were
too cumbersome for their tastes.

I find it amazing that we would treat pedophiles, homicidal maniacs,
Nazis, and genocidal dictators better then we have treated some of the
innocent people in Gitmo these last few years.

Paul