[Vision2020] Donovan, Canadians ARE Americans!

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sun Dec 21 13:24:09 PST 2008

When I was in Gr. 5 in the small one-room school up the road in
Edgewater BC a few years ago we had to learn the names, capitals and
principal cities, and principal products or industries of all 48
states to the south of us.

Later, when I worked in the tourist business in Radium Hot Springs, I
found to my amazement and disgust that many Americans had no idea how
many provinces there are in Canada, or even what province they were
in. Some thought we used English pounds, shillings and pence, some
thought we all spoke French. Some refused to take Canadian $2 bills,
which were very popular in Canada. To them we would explain that
Canadian $2 bills were lucky. In fact, twice as lucky as $1 bills.

Part of the trouble, of course, is that the USA is not a distinctive
name. Some had suggested "Columbia," which was probably how British
Columbia got its name. So saying "America" for the USA is not
intentionally belittling any other country in the American
hemisphere. We simply don't have a choice, do we?

Ralph

This goes along with issue I had about the High School: The U.S. History
textbook is wrongfully titled "American History", but I checked, it has
nothing in it about most of America, it only focuses on one set of fifty
states, one of which isn't even IN America.

I wonder if Donovan is a product of MHS, where the State mandated
"Social Studies" curriculum consists of:  U.S. History I, U.S. History
II, and U.S. Government.  Does anyone else notice what is missing in
this picture?  Like, maybe, the rest of the world?

Perhaps this is why Donovan and many others believe that the United
States owns the world.

It comes from confusing patriotism with nationalism.

Personally I don't trust any "ism".

Dave