[Vision2020] Steed still selling Moscow water?

mark seman fcs at moscow.com
Sun Dec 21 01:34:46 PST 2008

water is not the issue.  how or whom delivers the water is the central
dispute.  The Palouse region, Whitman & Latah counties, individual towns,
and individual citizens need to consider what is being done - in terms of
the Future.  Does quality infrastructure that allows improved mutual
municipal connection & benefit for Moscow & Pullman, seem better than a
dense isolated system with onsite containment?

Would a self-sustainable entity be better for Life on the Palouse, or would
the expansion of an inefficient & aging system?. Both creations will be new
and not require much near-term maintenance.  Expansion of the existing will
be expensive [if only partly due to accomodating future maximum capacities],
so doesn't it make more sense to concentrate infrastructure exactly where it
is needed and then expand from there to other locations of new growth?

Rather than expend public resources on extending existing inefficiency and
having to generate complex cross-border IGA's, let them [Hawkins] generate
and re-generate their own need(s) & solution(s).  Do not try to unreasonably
help them, but support their individual effort to be self-sustaining,
socially responsible, and economically viable.

So what if there sprung-up another sort of 'village' that was
self-contained.  People could live/learn/work/play right there...or within a
bike's ride of it - they could still commute.  Maybe a Hawkins' tenant
[business/entreprenuer] would even provided an electric shuttle to its
residents and outlying citizens.  What if this development also had an R&D
component that was a stepping stone between WSU & UI, providing economic &
technological advancement for both schools and communities, and had an
airport shuttle?

I do not know the Hawkins' development vision, but my vision is very similar
to Moscow's URA efforts, but it is driven by the private sector, and not
located near Moscow's core.  It seems obvious to me that there are contrary
forces working for control, which causes none to work well.  I suggest that
sincere practical collaboration efforts will get positive results.  For the
better good, Moscow needs to not focus on controlling the uncontrollable
water, consider "just because its infill does not make it right", and seek
to offer their unique assets to the tenants of the Hawkins' development, or
develop some other symbiosis.

Moscows' excess infrastructure capacity should not be wasted by extending
its utilities; since infill will occur, this growth will increase
consumption to within the pre-set limits of our existing infrastructure.
Now is a good time to maintain our existing infrastructure and not expand
it, unless it's absolutely necessary.  Preserve carrying capacity for the
Future, and diversify now, rather than concentrate.

Mark

  m a r k   s e m a n
 i n t e g r a t i v e s
 9 2 8 . 9 2 5 . 7 6 1 7