[Vision2020] Affordable Housing Crisis Bearing Fruit

mark seman baukunst at moscow.com
Wed Dec 3 23:05:38 PST 2008

Donovan,
Assume that you have the opportunity, and I suggest that you do have
the opportunity, to participate in a process of creating a [partial]
solution to Moscow's "affordable housing" crisis, what more do you
feel is needed to address the real needs?

Beyond the concept of 1/3 of a family income going towards rent, what
are they getting for their $500/mo?  What do they need to get?  Is
affordable housing about a roof over one's head, or should their be
social opportunities built-in as well?

Is $500 for 500sf affordable?  What about $500 for 1000sf + a
community center + garden space + private outdoor space + whatever?
Could you define your expectations more clearly?

Part of the issue is the question "What is missing?", but an equally
important part is "What is the Community willing to do to
participate?"  What value does the Community place on providing
affordable housing?  Apparently Moscow's Council feels it's worth
$15000-$40000 to do something towards it, and how far will that go?
I'm curious about what citizens are willing to do too.

Let me know your thoughts.

Mark

mark.r.seman.architect
   9 2 8 . 9 2 5 , 7 6 1 7