[Vision2020] Affordable Housing Crisis Bearing Fruit

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 17:18:10 PST 2008

Mark,

Thanks for the insightful response. My perspective is a little bit different then the current structuring of low income housing. I think the government and financial powers that be are more about trying to get what they want rather than focusing on the actual needs of the people they are supposedly trying to help.

I do believe, in all honesty, the biggest problem with low income housing is the policies that they use for qualifications. They are simply unrealistic, unfair, and discriminatory. Most of the people I talked to in low income housing would be kicked out if they answered every question 100% honestly, and the building would be mostly empty.

But to more directly address your questions, Mark, the problem with most low income is that it fails to realize that there are different types of poor people. Obviously stereotyping and pigeon holing but, here are the basic 5 groups in representing Moscow's low income.

1) Single men and woman that do not make that much money. Usually, the working poor, many college students, and some former students that are just working a local job. Their stay is usually for a short period of time.

2) The elderly. Mostly older woman, over 65 living on social security and in poor health. Their stay is usually for a long period of time, or until death.

3) Single parents. These are mostly woman living with one of two children trying to make ends meet and low cost housing is one of those cost cutting areas. Their stay is for a moderate about of time.

4) Persons with a disability. These are usually people that have a hard time holding full time employment and usually get some type of government assisted housing. Their stay is usually for a longer period of time.

5) Young families. These are usually a family that is just starting out, have some young children, not much money yet. Their stay is usually for a limited time until both parents can work or one gets a better paying job.

Each of these groups has different needs and wants from their housing situation. Many times their needs and wants contradict or conflict with each other. So trying to devise a plan that will work equally and fairly for everybody in one complex is bound to failure and the socially engineer is ignoring that people are different.

Second, you will find that most individuals do not want to pay more in rent for services they cannot use, especially when it prevents them from getting what they need, such as safer sidewalks for their wheelchair over that of a new playground for the children. Or new carpets versus carports.

Trying to be all things to all people, or fairly distributing very limited funds for each groups needs is a monstrous task which usually results in nobody being happy.

As to the physically properties themselves, I would suggest each place have the following things. Phone, Refrigerator, a very large freezer, storage, microwave, oven, stove, bathtub and shower, laundry, garbage disposal and dishwasher, large open kitchen and dining room, two medium equally sized bedrooms with walk in closets. They should have at least 600 sq. ft. of space. Some units should have a garage, others carports, and others no parking. It should mostly be built on one level, and the units should be noise resistant. They should have access to the Internet and basic television. There should be units that mostly carpeted and some units that are mostly not carpeted. There should be some units with a yard, and some with just a small outdoor patio. The units should also be near a bus route.  The units should have one side for pets, one side without; one half of each side should be for quiet of noisier tenants. Utilities, cable, Internet, water,
 garbage and rent should just be one bill.

Police should patrol the area frequently, know most of the residents, and offer assistance when needed.
Sex offenders and convicted criminals, especially those that committed moral crimes against persons, should be in separate complexes from other tenants.

Finally, I would reiterate that the laws governing what people can make to afford an apartment and who can qualify for an apartment is the biggest problem. I think focusing on the government trying to socially engineer the complexes and meet everyone's needs is the WRONG approach and will not work.

Best Regards,

Donovan