[Vision2020] Affordable Housing Crisis Bearing Fruit

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 18:52:13 PST 2008

I think the term "affordable housing" is a hoax and mostly a fraud as most of Moscow's affordable housing is so restrictive or expensive we have lots of empty apartments and units while still having lots of people that are spending 50%+ of their income on housing.

It is mostly a scam for property owners and companies to get subsizdies from the government without really providing anything of benifiet to the community.

My supposedly "subsidized" apartment in Moscow was $515 a month. Tell me, please, how that is affortable housing in Moscow? I can find unsubsidized apartments in Moscow for less than this. Why is our government forking over taxpayer funds to apartments that charge the market rate?

Second, the requirements for housing are also extremely restrictive, you have pull a Houdini to fit into the narrowly described income bracket. If your income is a hair too much over poverty you get disqualified. If it is too little, you cannot afford the rent and you get disqualified. The apartments are $500 a month, you must make $1500 to qualifity as affording the rent, but if you make much over $1500, then you make too much to live there, understand?

Also, almost all of these places have a clause that you are prevented from attending college full time and living in low income housing (That is about 80% of Moscow's poor right there alone). Which means you are stuck in low income housing because you cannot get a better education for a better paying job.

I personally think it is a violation of a persons rights to forbid them from attending college if they live in low income housing. Those are exactly the people that need better education for a better job to get out of government funded housing (DUH!).

In my opinion, the only legitimate low income housing are those facilities that charge 1/3 of the family's gross income. If they did that, only poor people would use them and it would be affortable for everyone living there.

Best Regards,

Donovan