[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for April 25, 2008

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 25 05:52:49 PDT 2008

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for April 25, 2008.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
April 25, 2008

Dear Friends,

The University's statewide march of graduates in caps and gowns
begins next week in Boise and Idaho Falls. Commencement is a
wonderful event that is so rich in academic tradition and ceremony. I
look forward to congratulating each graduate as they walk across the
stage and wishing them continued success in the professional and
personal lives.

The University of Idaho Boise commencement celebration is Wednesday,
April 30 at 7:30 p.m. at the Boise Centre on the Grove. Approximately
111 students are eligible for graduation from our Boise location. Pat
McMurray '70, past president of the Idaho Region for Wells Fargo
Bank, will present the commencement address, and Tom '58 and Alice
Hennessey will receive the President's Medallion for their
contributions to the advancement of Idaho and its people.

We will honor approximately 65 graduates at the University of Idaho
Idaho Falls on
Thursday, May 1, at 7:30 p.m. in the Willard Arts Center Colonial
Theatre. Sylvia Medina '93 will provide the commencement address. She
is president and chief executive officer of Idaho Falls-based North
Wind, Inc. Clifford A. Brady Jr. will receive the President's
Medallion. He has had a profound impact on his community and the
state of Idaho as a businessman, civic leader and advocate for education.

Ceremonies take place in Coeur d'Alene on May 5 and on May 10 we will
celebrate the College of Law and Moscow campus commencements. I will
provide details on those ceremonies here in the Friday Letter over
the next two weeks.

Please join me in welcoming Jon Newlee to the University of Idaho as
women's basketball coach. Jon replaces Mike Divilibiss, who resigned
earlier this month. Jon comes to Idaho after a very successful six
years at Idaho State University where he took ISU to the postseason
four times in the last five seasons. He is very familiar with the
Western Athletic Conference; he spent three seasons as an assistant
at the University of Hawaii. Jon has an impressive record of success
during his 24-year coaching career, and I look forward to the
leadership he'll provide to Vandal athletics.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Lissa Firor continues a remarkable tradition of academic achievement
by University of Idaho students. The junior in the environmental
science program is a recipient of the Morris K. Udall Scholarship -
the eighth University of Idaho student to receive the scholarship
since 2001. Firor, from Cove, Oregon, is one of 80 students
nationwide, and the only student in Idaho, selected to receive the
prestigious award that includes a $5,000 grant to help pay for fees,
books and supplies. Firor carries a 3.9 GPA and has been a campus
leader as vice president of the environmental club, a member of the
leadership team at the Sustainability Center, and a volunteer with
the University of Idaho Women in Science Wetland Revitalization Project.

"Walking on Common Ground" is the theme for the second annual Moscow
CommUNITY Walk
tomorrow at noon. Participants will walk from Friendship Square to
East City Park to promote unity, harmony, and meaningful connections
among all people.  Various
entertainment activities, children's games, and a free potluck meal
are planned. Among the numerous sponsors are the University of Idaho
President's Office, Office of Diversity and Community, Office of
Multicultural Affairs, and ASUI.

To honor and remember Judge Faye C. Kennedy '67, her family and
friends have established an endowed scholarship to benefit students
attending the College of Law. The Judge Faye C. Kennedy Memorial Law
Scholarship Endowment was created to honor Judge Kennedy's
affiliation with the University of Idaho, the College of Law, and to
recognize the impact that her law degree had on her life. A person of
high intellect and high standards, but also compassionate and kind,
she was a model for many younger lawyers with whom she came in
contact. The scholarship will provide funds to economically
disadvantaged students enrolled in the College of Law who have
demonstrated an interest in family law or public service. For
information on giving to the College of Law, contact Michele Bartlett
at (208) 364-4078 or
<https://webmail.fsr.com//email.pl?NEW=TRUE&MAILTO=bartlett@uidaho.edu.>bartlett at uidaho.edu.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
<http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3>http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
<http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3>http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3