[Vision2020] On the Importance of Three Cups of Tea

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Wed Apr 2 13:59:42 PDT 2008

Hail to the Vision!

This was my radio commentary this morning on KRFP 92.5 FM.  I have two tickets to Greg Mortenson's talk tomorrow night at 7:30 in the UI Memorial Gym.  (Please e-mail me off-line if you want them.) He will also speak at 1 PM at the Moscow High School Auditorium and 3:30 at the Kenworthy.

Mortenson's dreams have at least two major obstacles: (1) 70 percent of Pakistani women are illiterate; and (2) Wahhabi madrassas are going up faster than Mortenson’s schools.  (Wahhabi is the name of the Islamic fundamentalism supported by Saudi Arabia.) The 9/11 Commission Report indicates that the Saudi funded International Islamic Relief Organization had spent $45 million on education and religious projects in this area. An estimated 2 million students are enrolled in Islamist schools in Pakistan, 80,000 of whom were Afghani males who left Pakistani refugee camps and returned as Taliban soldiers and political leaders.

Hope to see you all there.

Nick Gier

ON THE IMPORTANCE OF THREE CUPS OF TEA
Long version at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/3CupsTea.htm

Since 1993, after a failed attempt at climbing K2 in Pakistan's Karakoram region, Greg Mortenson has devoted his life to people living in poverty in Northern Pakistan and Afghanistan. Losing his way coming down from K2, Mortenson stumbled into the small village of Korphe. After seeing the children sitting in the cold and wind and scratching out their lesions with sticks, Mortenson vowed that he would build them a school.

Over the past fifteen years, Mortenson's Central Asia Institute has built 64 schools and has paid the salaries of 562 teachers, who have taught over 25,000 pupils, more than half of them girls. Mortensen has learned that when you educate a boy you benefit primarily an individual, but when you educate a girl you help an entire community.

As Mortenson states: "When women are literate and educated, there is about a 50 percent reduction in infant mortality."  Furthermore, young men who go on jihad must get permission from their mothers, and Mortenson is convinced that "an educated woman is not likely to" grant that permission.

In addition to schools, Mortenson has also built water systems, medical clinics, and vocational facilities that focus on entrepreneurial skills for village women. Initially, raising funds for his projects was slow going, even though Mortensen estimated it would cost only $12,000 per school.  Tom Brokow sent him $100, and the children at a Wisconsin school filled two trash cans with 62,345 pennies for Korphe’s school.  Since then, Mortenson's Pennies for Peace has raised over $160,000 for his programs.

At first Mortenson encountered resistance from village leaders and clerics about educating girls.  Twice local mullahs issued fatwas against him, charging that his schools would corrupt the girls and undermine the children's Muslim faith. After his supporters presented evidence about the true nature of his work, both fatwas were lifted by the highest religious authorities in Iran,

Mortenson's strongest ally has been Syed Abbas, the Supreme Leader of the Shia Muslims of Northern Pakistan. At the inauguration of the new school in Kuardu on September 14, 2001, Abbas spoke about the attack on the Twin Towers: "We share in the sorrow as people weep and suffer in America today. Those who have committed . . . this evil act . . . do not do so in the name of Islam.  For this tragedy, I humbly ask [all Americans] for their forgiveness."

Mortenson had to learn his own lessons, starting with his own "shock and awe" campaign to get the school in Korphe done "on time." The village leader Haji Ali finally had to take his tools and lock them in a box.  Mortenson then learned the importance of Three Cups of Tea, the title of his best-selling book about his work in South Central Asia. After locking his tools away, Haji Ali said to Mortenson: "Sit down. And shut your mouth. You're making us all crazy."

After the salted butter tea had been served, Haji Ali continued: "If you want to thrive in Baltistan, you must respect our ways.  The first time you share tea with a Balti, you are a stranger.  The second time you take tea, you are an honored guest.  The third time you share a cup of tea, you become family, and for our family, we are prepared to do anything, even die.  Mr. Greg, you must make time to share three cups of tea."

In the fall of 2001, Pakistan was the only country that recognized the Taliban, and their diplomats came to the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad every night.  No one, not even Western reporters, dared approach them. One night Mortenson, who refused to stay at swanky hotels but met his associates there, joined the Taliban for tea.

The Taliban ambassador Mullah Zaeef told Mortenson that he was in favor of releasing Osama bin Laden to the Americans. He also learned that the top Taliban leader Mullah Omar wanted to have a meeting with George Bush, and had tried to contact the White House twice by satellite phone.  The Taliban claim that Bush declined.

Just think, however, what three cups of tea with the Taliban might have accomplished.