[Vision2020] Topfree Carwash Stimulates Growth

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Apr 1 11:48:16 PDT 2008

Is Ima Joaker still writing her annual op/ed pices every April 1st?

Scuttle-butt has it that the Daily Noise will soon be offering adult
humor, as well, by Hugh G. Reckshun.

Inquiring (and shallow) minds want to know.

> Did you all see this article in today's Daily Noise?
>

> Topfree Carwash Stimulates Growth
> by Ima Joaker
> April 1, 2008
>
> MOSCOW- Another unusual alliance has formed in Moscow
> as a result of the current pro-growth City Council.
> Community activist Saundra Lund and Councilman Dan
> "Are A Man" Carscallen have started the Topfree
> Carwash Club.  They hope to show that economic growth
> in Moscow can be achieved using local resources.
>
> "We have a town full of idle college students.  We
> have dirty cars.  And with apparently enough water to
> sell to out-of-state development, what better business
> to start in Moscow?" Lund said.
>
> Lund approached councilman Carscallen during the
> November campaign.  Lund agreed to support Carscallen
> after he jumped at the chance to become an
> entrepreneur.  "I knew Saundra had a good idea from
> the get-go.  I had to wait an hour in line the last
> time Moscow had a topless carwash there was so much
> demand.  Heck, now I won't have to wait in any line,"
> Carscallen said.
>
> Carscallen was referring to the controversial topfree
> carwash started by two UI students in 2002.  Their
> carwash, advertised as "XXX Carwash" took place on
> public streets, upsetting many area residents.  Local
> Pastor Douglas Wilson of Christ Church rallied his
> congregation to pressure the City Council to stop
> women from showing their breasts in public.  The
> council eventually passed a nudity ordinance, which
> itself proved controversial.
>
> When asked about the Topfree Carwash Club, Pastor
> Wilson said he was "surprised" by the unusual
> alliance.  He did not realize the Greater Moscow
> Alliance-endorsed councilmen would be so inclusive.
> "I realize the new City Council was pro-growth, but I
> didn't think they'd be this pro-growth.  It's
> gross-growth.  Breasts are for feeding babies, not
> buffing cars."
>
> Lund was active in trying to overturn the nudity
> ordinance after it passed.  She and other Muscovites
> for Equal Rights members were upset that the council
> passed a law that barred women from showing any
> portion of their breasts in public view.  "Our
> Constitution guarantees equal protection under the
> law.  It is illegal to pass laws that essentially are
> sexist.  Why are only women subject to this?  After
> all, good-looking, bare-chested men turn me on as much
> as a bare-chested women may turn on a man.  We
> shouldn't have laws that repress the rights of women
> to prevent the corruption of men."
>
> Lund decided to start a topfree carwash after
> realizing that there is nothing illegal about having
> such a business in Moscow as long as it is out of
> public view, according to her conversation with city
> attorney Randy Fife. "We're counting on Randy to
> provide accurate information about this," Lund said.
>
> Lund approached Carscallen after he declared his
> intent to run for City Council.  The two developed a
> [...]

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)