[Vision2020] Bad Voodoo's War (Tonight on PBS)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Apr 1 14:56:37 PDT 2008

This is a MUST SEE at 9:00 this evening on KSPS (channel 7) and KCDT
(channel 26).

--------

The trailer for "Bad Voodoo's War"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNaqi9xYwU0

The PBS press release:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/badvoodoo/

>From "The Sandbox"

-------------

BAD VOODOO'S WAR (reminder)

Name: JP
Posting date: 4/1/08
Stationed in: Iraq
Hometown: Burke, Virginia
Milblog url: milblogging.com
Email: milblogging at gmail.com

The film Bad Voodoo's War airs tonight on Frontline on PBS. Filmmaker
Deborah Scranton and my Platoon Sergeant SFC Toby Nunn have done an
outstanding job telling the story of the Bad Voodoo soldiers. I know for a
fact that my family, friends, and several of my readers are excited to
finally see what I do over here.

It's always tough to explain my job. Even after my last deployment to
Afghanistan from 2004-2005, I had some short video clips, photos, and my
blog to help illustrate my job as an Infantryman. But man, having this
film is way neater.

As a military blogger, I don't share a lot of what I experience as an
Infantryman. I never have. Not because of the so-called new restrictions
on blogging, or because of lack of support from my chain of command; on
the contrary, the DoD guidelines on blogging have never prevented me from
writing online, and I've always had great support from my leadership. No,
I choose not to write about things I do because my family and friends read
my blog, and I'm sensitive to their feelings. Therefore I choose write
about simple things, like Care Packages and other day-to-day experiences.

Now, with this film, my family and friends will know a lot more about me.
More than I've ever shared.

Personal Note:  When I tried explaining to my kids what I did in
Afghanistan I used to dress up my mom's cats, and we would re-enact events
in the kitchen. Sweet, I know. But I swear, cats are a pain in the ass to
work with. Take my mom's oldest cat, 'Mr. Punky' for instance. He didn't
like being forced to wear DCUs. Nor did he like having a rucksack strapped
to his back or standing fire watch for 14-hours straight on the
refrigerator.

Anyway, I think I only confused my kids more about what I did in
Afghanistan. Especially when 'Mr. Punky', in the middle of an Air Assault
scene, would storm off set (the kitchen table) to go poopy in the kitty
litter box.