[Vision2020] No Charges For Men Who Pointed Guns at One Another at Tattoo Parlor

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 17:20:18 PDT 2007

Sunil - what the Mayor actually said is debatable and apparently depends on
the news source (imagine that)

KHQ (and other TV news sources)
August 9, 2007
. . .Rausch's idea also contradicts that of Moscow Mayor Nancy Chaney.  Late
last month she asked for a legal opinion from the attorney general's office
on whether the city has the authority to ban both concealed and exposed
weapons IN PUBLIC AREAS . . .

ASSOCIATED PRESS, The Oregonian (and other newspapers)
August 4, 2007
. . .the mayor wants to know whether Moscow can ban guns on city property.
Mayor Nancy Chaney has asked for a legal opinion from the state attorney
general's office on whether the city has the authority to ban both concealed
and exposed weapons IN SUCH PUBLIC AREAS . . .

As far as the situation in question, since the guns were put away before the
police arrived, there was no probable cause to charge anyone.  There were
"reports of a fight, involving weapons" but this becomes a he said / she
said matter of hearsay.  Since neither individual threatened by the other
with a weapon wanted to press charges, the police had no choice but to
release them.

There was no "illegal use of a firearm" (one was not discharged in city
limits no used in the commission of any other crime); one does not need
"proper documentation" to carry a firearm in plain sight; and there is no
law against possessing a firearm in the city limits.

Once again J is batting 0.00.  Keep up the good work

GS