[Vision2020] Republican Party Looses Dunn (found it!)

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 13:12:28 PDT 2007

WASHINGTON -- Former U.S. Rep. Jennifer Dunn, who became the most powerful
Republican woman in Washington state history during six terms representing
Seattle's east-side suburbs, died Wednesday after developing a blood clot
and collapsing in her Virginia apartment, said a statement from her family.
She was 66.

DISCUSS: Remembering Jennifer Dunn

Dunn, a favorite of both Bush White Houses, was the state's ranking
Republican in Congress when she retired in 2004, turning down a plea from
President George W. Bush to run for Senate. She told The Associated Press at
the time she was pursuing a new career as a policy adviser and planned to
enjoy time with her new husband and baby granddaughter.

Her son, King County Councilman Reagan Dunn, called the death "a total
shock" and added: "She gave her whole life giving to other people. She
touched a lot of lives and did a lot for her country."

Dunn's political career was a series of firsts: first woman to chair the
Washington State Republican Party; first freshman woman to win a place in
the House Republican leadership team; and the highest ranking Republican
woman in leadership as the vice chair of the conference.

Former U.S. Sen. Slade Gorton, R-Wash., said that besides breaking the glass
ceiling for Republican women in the House, Dunn had a great personality --
"outgoing and friendly and concerned."

"She was a major part of my life as she was a major part of the political
life of the state of Washington," he said.

Known for her work to cut the inheritance tax, for promoting small and
women-owned businesses, and for sponsoring the Amber Alert bill to locate
missing children, Dunn was an influential senior member of the House
Republican caucus. She served as a member of the Ways and Means Committee,
vice chairwoman of the Homeland Security Committee and a member of the
caucus campaign team. She was a frequent spokeswoman for the House, once
giving the Republican response to a State of the Union Address by President
Bill Clinton. She helped run three Republican national conventions.

"While I never took a pledge on term limits, I do believe that our nation is
better served if from time to time we senior members step aside to allow
individuals with fresh ideas to challenge the status quo in Congress," she
said when she retired.

Bush praised Dunn on her retirement, calling her "a superb legislator and a
strong leader who has stood for the best of Washington state's values and
who has improved the lives of its people."

Gov. Chris Gregoire said that in addition to being a political leader, Dunn
"was a devoted wife and mother and always kept her family as her top
priority."

As the first woman to chair the state GOP, Dunn led the party to significant
gains in the Legislature, then repeated that feat in Congress, said Rep. Doc
Hastings, who succeeded her as the state's most senior Republican.

When she was elected to the House in 1992, she was the only Republican in
the nine-member delegation. Two years later, five more Republicans,
including Hastings, joined her.

Dunn's greatest accomplishment in Congress -- and a focus of years of effort
-- was cutting the inheritance tax, or what Dunn and other opponents called
the death tax.

"She was a tireless advocate of that," Hastings said, adding that Dunn also
should be remembered for the Amber Alert law and as a strong advocate of
free trade. Washington is one of the most trade-dependent states in the
nation.

She is survived by her husband, Keith Thomson; sons Bryant Dunn, Reagan Dunn
and Angus Thomson; and two grandchildren.

J  :]