[Vision2020] Dispel the anti-growth myth

Kai Eiselein, editor editor at lataheagle.com
Tue Oct 30 08:38:43 PDT 2007

BJ,
Blaming Wa-Mart for the loss of 4 million jobs is wrong. American
manufacturing jobs were in decline long before Wal-Mart became a
"super-power".
I know, I was one of the "casualties". My first job out of high school was
at a factory that made garage door openers (Chamberlain). I worked my way
out off the "floor" and into the tool and die shop, then the factory moved
15 miles south, into Mexico and I was out of a job. That was in 1981.
Wal-Mart was a regional player at that time. The first time I heard of/or
saw a Wal-Mart was in 1983 while I was in Louisiana.
While Wal-Mart may have helped speed up the decline, the slide began long
before, with plenty of blame to go to around. Company owners and unions
both, could not, or would not, see changes coming and refused to adapt.