[Vision2020] Dispel the anti-growth myth

Steffen Werner swerner at uidaho.edu
Mon Oct 29 21:38:56 PDT 2007

I think that Brandy's list, even if incomplete, is a great start for
a real debate about growth.  Growth, in the end, depends on
individuals who are willing to take a plunge and invest a lot of
their own time and money to try to make something special happen.  I
agree that a few of the new businesses replaced other businesses, but
that can be taken as a sign for a healthy entrepreneurial climate.
Even as replacements, they usually create financial benefits to the
community just by upgrading their infrastructure and the buildings
they occupy.  However, it also shows that a marketplace like Moscow
cannot support an endless supply of new retail, service, or
entertainment oriented businesses.  In this light, the call for more,
bigger, and better retail development sounds a bit hollow - after
all, by the same logic, a new super wal*mart would just be another
replacement business (at best replacing itself).  I totally agree
with Jeff that what would be optimal are businesses that add value
here in Moscow by using our intellectual, artistic, or other
expertise based resources to create products or services that are
being desired all over the US and beyond (NRS and  Cowgirl chocolates
are great examples of this).  I don't think that ravaging our natural
resources (e.g., Naylor farms) would produce the same results (at
least not in the long run).  The value-added businesses are really
the ideal businesses because they generate revenue from the outside
while keeping the quality of our environment and its attraction to
newcomers high.  However, the problem lies not in recognizing this
fact, but in creating an atmosphere that attracts these kinds of
businesses here, and probably more importantly, encourages local
residents to pursue their economic visions here in Moscow instead of
being lured to other places.  What I find sorely lacking in this
debate are the non-economic factors that drive a lot of the
attraction/retention cycle.  Many members of this community have
invested heavily in terms of time and money to build the Latah trail
- together with paradise path and the Chipman trail a wonderful asset
for our community that is a hot selling point.  Others have worked
hard on the Hamilton Lowe aquatic center, the new ball fields, a plan
for a new ice rink, the Prichard, Third street, and Above the Rim art
galleries, etc.  The new development of land between the university
and the city, maybe through an Urban Renewal Agency, might be another
opportunity to create something unique and attractive. Any addition
of something special that will make Moscow a more attractive place to
live will make it more likely that a new business will locate here or
that an expanding businesses will remain in Moscow.  Having located
here myself from overseas I know that financial and human capital can
flow freely to wherever it desires to go - and that Moscow's unique
beauty, visual and musical culture, vibrant downtown, intellectually
stimulating climate, and recreational offerings are its main selling
point for the people in high-paying jobs that we want to attract.

Steffen Werner