[Vision2020] Leadership

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Wed Oct 31 11:39:03 PDT 2007

BL,

Thank you for the tongue and cheek slam.  I did not accuse BJ of
hating free enterprise.  She said what she said, maybe you missed it:

"It seems that Jeff Harkins and the conservative candidates continue
to advocate an economic model that no longer works B. J. Swanson, Oct 30, 2007)

And I did read what BJ said.  And she could not be more wrong in her
assessment of my stated positions on economic development.

Here is a direct quote from a recent posting, wherein I respond to a
request to identify what would and would not be appropriate for
economic development for Moscow:

"After considerable thought, and given the constraints in real estate
that exist in Moscow (no need to preclude businesses that couldn't
locate in Moscow because there is no room for them or they require
infrastructure that we don't have), heavy manufacturing (large heavy
equipment, aircraft, large-scale auto) would probably not be a good
fit.  That said, a custom manufacturer - say manufacturing small
hybrid cars, wind turbines, solar energy systems, ATV's, bicycles,
garden power tools, farm implements to serve Palouse farming
specifically could fit very nicely.  Also, I have long advocated wood
manufacturing - furniture, etc."

I trust that is an adequate redress to your claim.

And feel free to continue to ridicule my patriotism and my faith in
the unfettered market based sysem.

Thanks for the input.