[Vision2020] Noise Ordinance Amendment Update

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Fri Oct 26 18:48:22 PDT 2007

J  :],

If people are breaking other laws, like peeing and
pooping in public, fighting, or screaching their cars,
then the police can initiate a citation.  Those
activities are not covered by the noise ordinance.
You can read it for yourself at the city website:
(this is the current ordinance)

www.ci.moscow.id.us/citycode/TITLE10/toc.asp

I never said that those 17% are necessarily not
disturbing the peace beyond a reasonable doubt as
covered under the noise ordinance.  If those 17% are
the problem, then pass a law that targets them, not
all the other citizens of our town who are
responsible.

I'm sure you appreciate free speech, for you are very
vocal in a not so harmonious way on this list, imho.
I believe you don't appreciate freedom of assembly, at
least for some people you harass here, so bare with
me.

The First Amendment of our Constitution is pretty
clear in guaranteeing us both of those rights.  To
pass a law that is so sweeping, unnecessary,
potentially an invasion of privacy and a violation of
our rights, and open for a law suit is too extreme for
me, and I would hope for other people living in
Moscow.

A party is an assembly, and if you can't recognize
that, then obviously we just have a different
interpretation of definitions of words.

>From dictionary.com:

assembly

1.	an assembling or coming together of a number of
persons, usually for a particular purpose: The
principal will speak to all the students at Friday's
assembly.
2.	a group of persons gathered together, usually for a
particular purpose, whether religious, political,
educational, or social.

If they really want to solve the problem then extend
the period between warnings to one month, between the
hours of 10 pm and 7 am and be specific about what
those violations are.

As the law is now proposed, police officers will have
the authority to issue a citation on the spot to
anyone anywhere in Moscow at anytime for making noise
the officer deems offensive.  There is no set noise
limit or level.

How Draconian of a law do you need before you will
say, "Stop?"

The way I look at it, we have a responsibility to
defend our rights guaranteed to us, because they are
constantly being chipped away.  Perhaps I'm extreme in
my position, but at the very least, realize that these
are the kind of laws that create a police state.  As I
said before, the Taliban and Iranian government would
love this sort of law.  Having the power to intimidate
people's freedom expression with no outside complaint
that a problem even exists.

The type of people who you describe who are unruly
would be better dealt with under a more reasonable
law.

Why put the pressure on police to be the deciding
factor on what noise is acceptable?  That should be
established by the the surrounding community and I'm
sure most would complain regarding the unruly people
you describe.  I have a hard time believing that
everybody who would be bothered would be intimidated
to call the cops.  Thus, the police would take action
and issue citations if the problems persists.  I have
no problem with that.

Most sincerely,

Garrett Clevenger

ps That is my real name if you ever care to meet.  I
have no clue, though, who J :} is, but it's pretty
cool name.  How do you sign your signature???

pss Thanks for giving me an opportunity to clarify my
position more;p

pss  If you are so uncomfortable with the First
Amendment, and will call the part you quoted of my
original post "BUNK!", then I suggest you move to
China, Russia, or a number of other countries where
citizens don't enjoy the freedoms we have here.