[Vision2020] Sub-minimum wage

Bev Bafus bevbafus at verizon.net
Wed Oct 24 20:18:49 PDT 2007

So, I'll get on my current soapbox.

Do any of our local legislators want to attack the problem of the
sub-minimum wage?

It is a crime that some companies can get away with paying their employees
$3.35 an hour, when across the border in Washington the minimum wage is
$7.98.  Washington does not allow tip-credit, or sub-minimum wage.

And yes, the sub-minimum, or tip-credited wage is only allowed if the
employee makes tips.  But the ways many of these companies get around the
tip reporting is downright criminal.

Also, if I get good service in a restaurant, I'd like to reward the
employee, not feel like I am required to pay their wage.

There are some companies who broaden the definition of who is eligible for
sub-minimum, saying that ALL their employees get tips, when only a small
percentage do.  Then that percentage has to share the tips with all the
employees.

I'm sure that I'll be ruffling the feathers of some folks in the restaurant
business - but after two years of watching my kids struggle on the
sub-minimum, I've about had it.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Bev