[Vision2020] Sub-minimum wage

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Oct 24 20:32:23 PDT 2007

Not only that, Bev -

Could you imagine a battered wife (with a child) trying to make a living as
a waitress where her employer is permitted (as you suggest) to "write off" a
percentage of her hourly wage as "tips", thus reducing her income to $3.35
per hour of taxable income.

All this while she drops her child off at a local day care center whose
employees are not required to undergo background criminal checks.  Then
returning home after putting in as many hours as she possibly can to her
rent-controlled apartment hoping that her abusive ex-husband will not call
to harass her or stop by to abuse her (since our state legislature will not
permit her to maintain an anonymous address.

Happy Thanksgiving, Idaho.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)