[Vision2020] Tuesday's Candidate forum

pkraut at moscow.com pkraut at moscow.com
Wed Oct 24 17:37:56 PDT 2007

What we also do not have on main is a real department store with clothes
that fit lots of sizes like Penneys. Davids which was locally owned was a
great store when I first moved here and the 'Crazy Days' shopping was
wonderful. But, then the UofI let the mall go in because the local
downtown hadn't changed anything for years and wasn't going to so the
downtown has had real issues. Most of us know this and are aware that if
we don't make changes and grow in many ways we are going to be bedroom to
Pullman. If That!

> Just my two cents worth, but if you really want to change perception -
why keep
perpetuating it by repeating a mantra?  The only GMA ads I have seen say
something to the
effect that "Moscow is anti-growth" and these ads have the photos of all
three endorsed
candidates on them.  Last night I heard the words "smart growth" come out
of Mr. Krauss'
mouth like he embraces the ideal -and great if he does.  But at the same
forum he says the
current council practices selective growth.  Is there a difference?  On
the business side,
isn't the principle of smart growth that you decide what fits for the
community and where
and then select the types of business that fit in those areas?  If I'm
wrong, someone
please explain, because maybe I am not understanding this principle.
Honestly, I am very
glad Moscow no longer has 20+ gas stations on main street!

> Bruce and Jean Livingston <jeanlivingston at turbonet.com> wrote:
>From this morning's
Lewiston Morning Tribune:

>    Growth issue takes over forum Incumbents defend stance on Moscow's
growth
>  By David Johnson of the Tribune
>  Wednesday, October 24, 2007
>
>  MOSCOW - The seven candidates for four council seats  weighed in
Tuesday night on what
many consider a central issue leading up to the  Nov. 6 election - that
the current city
council is inhibiting economic  growth.
>  Speaking at a candidates forum to an audience of about  120 people, all
three incumbents
dismissed the notion, while three challengers  said the claim had a
measure of merit.
Another challenger said the anti-growth  perception really didn't matter
because the
economy continues to grow.
>  "Moscow is not anti-growth or no growth," Aaron Ament  said. "It's
unfortunate that some
among us keep saying that because it does hurt  our community."
>  "I don't believe that the Moscow city council is  anti-growth," Tom
Lamar said, "and I
actually think it's irresponsible to accuse  the city that way."
>  "I think what you need to do is take a look at what this  council has
done," Linda Pall
said. "This council has embraced the new cities  initiative. ... We're not
here to say,
'You all come.' We're here to say, 'Come  take a look at Moscow, and if
the fit is right,
if your business and our values  match up, we are happy to have you.' "
>  Ament, Lamar and Pall are incumbents running for the  three four-year
seats. All have
been endorsed by the Moscow Civic  Association.
>  "I don't necessarily feel the current council is  no-growth or anti-
growth," Wayne Krauss
said. "I think they're (practicing)  selective growth. They decide what
kind of growth
they want to allow."
>  "The current council says they're not anti-growth," Dan  Carscallen
said, "but the
perception is there. Changing the perception is the  thing that needs to
happen."
>  "Moscow has been perceived as anti-business and  anti-growth long
before this particular
city council," Walter Steed said. "I'm  not sure why. I don't think we've
done anything
lately to change it or make  ourselves look like we do welcome businesses."
>  Krauss and Carscallen are challenging for the four-year  positions.
Steed is seeking a
two-year seat. All three are endorsed by the  Greater Moscow Alliance.
>  Challenger Evan Holmes, who's running against Steed and  isn't endorsed
by either of the
politically active citizens groups, took more of  a middle-ground
stance. "Well, if the
city council for the last five years has  been trying to stop growth
they've failed
miserably." He cited statistics  showing that the town's economy continues
to grow. "So
like I say, the no-growth  thing doesn't bear analysis," Holmes said.
>  The campaign continues to be fueled by the MCA and GMA,  the former
being credited with
supporting winning candidates in the previous  election and the latter
organized last year
in response. Mayor Nancy Chaney was  endorsed two years ago by the left-
leaning MCA, and
her opponent, former council  member Peg Hamlett, said afterwards that the
MCA's campaign
efforts were too  much to surmount. The right-leaning GMA figures to lend
some balance to
the  campaign. Both groups are encouraging a big turnout at the polls.
>  The candidates seem to have tapped into the momentum.  Most have active
Web sites, all
are placing signs around town, most say they're  going door-to-door to
talk with people
and the invitations to speak at forums  and do interviews with the press
continue to take
up their time.
>  Tuesday night's forum, held in the Moscow High School  Auditorium, was
cosponsored by the
Moscow League of Women Voters and the  Moscow/Pullman Daily News.