[Vision2020] Western U.S. Forest Wildfire Activity

pkraut at moscow.com pkraut at moscow.com
Wed Oct 24 17:30:58 PDT 2007

Its all built in a desert and they cannot steal enough water to save
themselves! This is not news!

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Western_US_States_Swelter_Under_Record_He

Westerling,1,2*<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/313/5789/940#COR

(*35*<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/313/5789/940#REF3> 5>).
> An earlier snowmelt can lead to an earlier, longer dry season, providing
> greater opportunities for large fires due both to the longer period in
whic> h
> ignitions could potentially occur and to the greater drying of soils and
> vegetation. Consequently, it is not surprising that the incidence of
> wildfires is strongly associated with snowmelt timing.
>
> Changes in spring and summer temperatures associated with an early spring
> snowmelt come in the context of a marked trend over the period of
analysis.
> Regionally averaged spring and summer temperatures for 1987 to 2003 were
> 0.87°C higher than those for 1970 to 1986. Spring and summer
temperatures>  for
> 1987 to 2003 were the warmest since the start of the record in 1895,
with 6
> years in the 90th percentile—the most for any 17-year period since the
st> art
> of the record in 1895 through 2003—whereas only 1 year in the preceding
1> 7
> years ranked in the 90th percentile. Likewise, 73% of early years since
197> 0
> occurred in 1987 to 2003 (Fig.
> 1<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/313/5789/940#FIG1>
> ).
>
> --------
>
> If the average length and intensity of summer drought increases in the
> Northern Rockies and mountains elsewhere in the western United States, an
> increased frequency of large wildfires will lead to changes in forest
> composition and reduced tree densities, thus affecting carbon pools.
Curren> t
> estimates indicate that western U.S. forests are responsible for 20 to
40%
> of total U.S. carbon sequestration
> (*38*<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/313/5789/940#REF38>,
> *39* <http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/313/5789/940#REF39>). If
> wildfire trends continue, at least initially, this biomass burning will
> result in carbon release, suggesting that the forests of the western
United
(*40*<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/313/5789/940#REF4> 0>).