[Vision2020] UI not having anti-Islam event

pkraut at moscow.com pkraut at moscow.com
Tue Oct 23 15:13:58 PDT 2007

Obviously Andreas does not listen to Rush or Sean or anything that would
give him true knowledge of what they say about Islam. There are groups
such as Al Quida that are mean to everyone and I do mean Everyone. They
are not truly peaceful, kind or following Islam and the muslims world wide
know this. Muslims world wide are being held up for hate because these
groups are killing women, children and anyone who does not agree with them
with great joy. Most followers of Islam are not willing to start killing
anyone and everyone just because they are not muslim but these radical
groups are and must be stopped for everyones peace. They have meetings
wherein they teach and pray for the end of the Great Satan, (USA) and an
end to Israel and I mean an end at whatever cost. I wonder if
the 'palistians' realize that if they are in the way when the nuclear
bombs start dropping that the radicals won't care?? Anyway, some students
at WSU want to show a film that shows this side of the story but some in
the democratic party do not want the movie to be shown. They belive in
a 'peace in our time' philosophy. They think we can talk to
them...remember 1930, England, Germany, etc? So once again we have
Chambelain making peace at all cost and Bush drawing a line and saying NO!
but much sooner than was done in 1940. Who is right? I suppose we will
have to wait longer (but not much) and see what history tells us...but I
realize that if this is the first time you have heard this term you are a
great example of those who have their head in the sand do not realize how
important this all is to our peace and civilization. I do not want to be
rude but the radicals want to change our world dramatically and they do
not care who gets hurt in the process. Now I am sure that there will be
many responses to this email but please start paying more attention to
world events.

> Bruce --
>
> Sure.
>
> "Islamo-fascism" is the right-wing's preferred term for what everyone
else
> calls "Islamism." It covers everything from moderate Islamic parties in
> Turkey to the Muslim Brotherhood to Iran's government to al-Qaida. It's
> generally invoked as the "next great threat" to the United State, or,
even
> more hyperbolically, "the greatest threat America has ever faced." In
other
> words, it's sloppy thinking and bad scholarship in pursuit of another
idiot
> war.
>
> "Islamo-fascism Awareness Week" was the brainchild of David Horowitz, a
> conservative gadfly whose main selling point is that he was once a
hardcore
> leftist. Since thin, he has traded in his extraordinary credulity in
> believing leftist hoaxes for an extraordinary credulity in believing
> right-wing hoaxes.
>
> "Islamo-Fascism Awareness Week" is along those lines. Its purpose is to
> expose the collusion between academic liberals and al-Qaida, presumably
> create an transnational communist caliphate which strictly enforces
sharia
> law and allows gay marriage.
>
> -- ACS
>

> On 10/23/07, Bruce and Jean Livingston <jeanlivingston at turbonet.com>
wrote:

> >  I noted that there was something being sponsored by a Young Republican
> > club at WSU recently, something about Islamo-fascism, and I have not
> > understood what that was.  Now I note this article in the UI paper, the
> > Argonaut.
> >
> > http://www.uiargonaut.com/content/view/4683/48/
> >
> > Not having read much if anything about the so-called "Islamo-fascist"
> > movement, I wonder whether the Islamo-fascist movement has been
> > mis-representing Islam and tarring the entire religion with the acts
of an
> > extreme faction?  This story in the Argonaut makes me think that is
what has
> > been happening, but the story does not say specify the message of hate
that
> > the opposers of "Islamo-fascism" are promulgating.  I would like to
hear
> > more about this from people who surely have followed this issue much
more
> > closely than I.
> >
> > I am curious about what is going on with this issue, as I have only
heard
> > this term "Islamo-fascism" in the last several weeks, other than
seeing the
> > term in a book review that I did not read closely about a year ago.  I
> > assume from the very little I have read about "Islamo-fascism" that the
> > announced aim of the Islamo-fascist movement is to
address/publicize/oppose
> > those who practice terrorism in the name of the Islamic religion --
the Bin
> > Laden/Al Queda/Taliban camp.  But it seems, based on the story in the
> > Argonaut, that much more is going on than that, and that good Muslims
are
> > being caught in the overbroad net aimed at the terrorists by those who
> > oppose/head-up the "Oppose Islamo-fascism" movement.  As I understand
the
> > statements of the Al Quaeda/Bin Laden terrorists, they practice a form
of
> > Islam that is anti-thetical to the vast majority of the Islamic world,
> > killing in the name of religion but without the approval of most of the
> > Muslim world.  Essentially, as I understand it, the terrorist, so-
called "Al
> > Quaeda" wing of Islam mis-represents and mis-uses Islam as it is
understood
> > by the vast majority of Muslims.
> >
> > Am I correct in assuming that the Islamo-fascist movement is
castigating
> > all/most Muslims, rather than the small minority of terrorist sects
that are
> > murdering in the name of Islam, while violating Islamic law?   Are
there any
> > on this list who might elaborate on this issue for me?
> >
> > Bruce Livingston
> >
> >   Written by Jessica Mullins - Argonaut     Tuesday, 23 October 2007
> >
> > *Community members gather against movement*
> >
> > Palouse community members organized events and spread information in
> > response to this week's national "Islamo-Fascism
> > Awareness Week."
> >
> > The movement is intended to promote hostility and hate toward Muslims,
> > Arabs ands people who resemble them, said retired University of Idaho
> > economics professor Ghazi Ghazanfar. "The whole idea is to create more
hate
> > and demonize the religion and people," Ghazanfar said. "This is a
> > systematic, well-organized effort in the country."
> >
> > The week, part of a "terrorism awareness project," is sponsored by the
> > David Horowitz Freedom Center.  Activities are planned at nearly 100
U.S.
> > universities including Washington State University, but none at
UI.  "The
> > movement is unfortunately all over the place," said Andy Neukranz-
Butler,
> > UI's human rights compliance officer.  The Web site,
> > www.terrorismawareness.org/islamo-fascism, says the protest is to
confront
> > the two "big lies of the political left": that President George W. Bush
> > created the war on terror and that global warming is a greater American
> > danger than the terrorism threat.
> >
> > In light of the movement, UI President Tim White re-released the UI
> > civility statement on Oct. 11 to "raise to top-of-mind" UI civility
> > expectations.  The civility statement acknowledges everyone comes from
> > different backgrounds and supports the discussion of different points
of
> > view in a civilized manner, Neukranz-Butler said.  The statement says
> > "expressions of hate and intolerance meant to discriminate against
entire
> > groups are beneath the ideals that we aspire to at the University of
> > Idaho."
> >
> > While there are no events planned at UI, organizers wanted to prepare,
> > just in case.  "We want to be proactive to include people in community
> > discussion," Neukranz-Butler said. "We would hope things wouldn't get
out of
> > hand."   While debate is important, it shouldn't include hateful or
fighting
> > words, she said.  "Obviously, good debate is what we want. We just
want to
> > do it in a respectful manner," she said. "We want to create an
environment
> > where we can talk about it."   The civility statement is appropriate to
> > combat feelings of threats, said Rula Awwad-Rafferty, UI faculty and
JUNTURA
> > committee chair.
> >
> > The WSU College Republicans will show the film "Obsession" on
Wednesday.
> > "The film has a lot of nasty things to say about the Muslim religion,"
> > Neukranz-Butler said. The film doesn't encourage constructive
discussion,
> > she said.  Palouse community members, including Neukranz-Butler,
> > Awwad-Rafferty and Ghazanfar, met and organized events and ads to run
in
> > local newspapers in response to the week.  "Regardless of your
political
> > orientation or religious orientation, I think knowledge is power and
it is
> > important to question information and go to try to find other sources,"
> > Awwad-Rafferty said.
> >
> > The efforts in response to the awareness week focus on the unity of the
> > community.  "We all stand together," Awwad-Rafferty said. "If it hurts
> > someone in the community it hurts us all. We combat stereotypes
because we
> > believe they hurt all of us no matter where they come from."  Awwad-
Rafferty