[Vision2020] Followup: Alaska Senator Ted Stevens In Anchorage Daily News

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 05:20:20 PDT 2007

All-

Only posting a short segment, with quotes from Alaska Senator Ted Stevens,
from the recent Anchorage Daily News article, might clarify what the article
is about, in terms of whether this is a new problem or not.  As I have
posted before about the Green Revolution, it is only a matter of time before
it arrives; and Republicans such as Ted Stevens taking a public stand like
this is part of this revolution:

Anchorage Daily News

Published: October 22, 2007
Last Modified: October 22, 2007 at 02:37 AM

Text below exactly as in the article:

By BETH BRAGG

http://www.adn.com/contact/bbragg/index.html

A NEW KIND OF EMERGENCY

Newtok, Shishmaref, and Kivalina are the canaries in the mine that is global
warming, which is eating river banks, thawing permafrost and delaying the
annual formation of shore-fast ice that protects coastal towns from fall sea

storms.

Even Stevens, once a skeptic of global warming and man's role in hastening
it, talks about the effects of "global climate change." Long a champion of
the oil industry that supports Alaska's economy, he has in recent months
pushed for fuel-efficient American-made cars and a reduction in greenhouse
gas emissions.

"I think there is a contribution of mankind to the warming cycle," he told
Channel 2 news this summer, although he also said he believes the warming
trend is part of a natural cycle hundreds of years in the making.

Stevens harbors no doubt, though, that many Alaska villages face impending
disaster.

"This is a new type of emergency," he said at the Senate hearing. "We get
it first, but it's coming everywhere."