[Vision2020] Alaska Villages are in trouble...even Ted Stevens believes there is a problem.....

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 02:48:07 PDT 2007

 *Anchorage Daily News:* *Arctic Alaska villages caught in slow-motion
disaster onslaught *

GLOBAL WARMING: Spiraling costs to move imperiled coastal communities pit
needs against limited resources.

By BETH BRAGG <http://www.adn.com/contact/bbragg/index.html>
bbragg at adn.com

Published: October 22, 2007
Last Modified: October 22, 2007 at 02:37 AM

The cost of relocating villages that face extinction in the next decade or
so -- sooner if the wrong storm hits the wrong place at the wrong time -- is
staggering. Even by Alaska standards.

[image: Click to
enlarge]<http://www.adn.com/ips_rich_content/657-22VillageErosion.gif>

*Click to enlarge*

• Moving Newtok, a Bering Sea coast town of 315 being squished and swamped
by two rivers, could cost as much as $130 million. Or $412,000 per person.

• Moving Shishmaref, a strip of sand in the Chukchi Sea that's home to about
600 people, could cost as much as $200 million. Or $330,000 per person.

• Moving Kivalina, a shrinking barrier island in the Chukchi that last month
saw most of its 380 residents run for safety from the season's first storm,
could cost as much as $125 million. Or $330,000 per person.

Meanwhile, millions more are needed to protect people and facilities
threatened by catastrophic erosion until they move.

Where will all the money come from?

"That's the million-dollar question," said Sally Russell Cox, a state
planner who is involved in the Newtok relocation.

It's closer to a billion-dollar question, and it's getting a lot of
attention at the federal, state and local levels.

The usual sources are being tapped, among them the U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers, the state Department of Transportation, the Village Safe Water
Program and the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Even the idea of using some of the
Permanent Fund has been floated.

Cox hopes dollars alone don't drive the discussions.

"I hate to put things in economic terms, because these are human beings
we're talking about," she said. "These are lifestyles they've led for
thousands of years that have been passed on to them by their forefathers.
How can you minimize all that (by putting it) in economic terms?"

In years past, Natives would have moved to safer places if nature's wrath
threatened their homes. Today, things like school buildings, airstrips,
roads and washeterias keep once-nomadic people anchored in place.

SO MANY VILLAGES

The Denali Commission, a state-federal agency created by Sen. Ted Stevens to
improve Alaska's infrastructure, has $100 million to offer. Given the many
needs of the many villages being eaten away by erosion, that's a drop in the
roiling Chukchi Sea.

Not everyone will get what they need when they need it, Stevens warned
village leaders at a U.S. Senate field hearing earlier this month in
Anchorage.

Tony Weyiouanna of Shishmaref told Stevens and Sen. Mary Landrieu, a
Democrat from Louisiana -- both members of the U.S. Senate's Disaster
Recovery subcommittee -- that his town, located on a quarter-mile-wide strip
of sand, loses ground to the sea every year. The village needs $61 million
for protection and relocation, and that's just for one year.

"Your one village's needs is almost more than the entire funding we have
available" from the Denali Commission, Stevens noted. "Each village is
proceeding on the basis that they're going to come first. That's not
possible."

Yet Stevens acknowledged that action is needed immediately in some places.

Like Newtok. Between seasonal rains and flooding rivers, residents there
have to be careful where they step.

"We have to use the boardwalks all the time. We can't use tennis shoes on
the tundra. You just get wet and it's really deep," tribal administrator
Stanley Tom said. "Some of the boardwalks now are sinking too. We try to
keep them floating. We put blocks underneath the boardwalks."

The Corps of Engineers says Newtok has about 10 years left before erosion
claims it.

Tom shakes his head at that estimate. He figures the village has two or
three years left.

A NEW KIND OF EMERGENCY

Newtok, Shishmaref, and Kivalina are the canaries in the mine that is global
warming, which is eating river banks, thawing permafrost and delaying the
annual formation of shore-fast ice that protects coastal towns from fall sea
storms.

Even Stevens, once a skeptic of global warming and man's role in hastening
it, talks about the effects of "global climate change." Long a champion of
the oil industry that supports Alaska's economy, he has in recent months
pushed for fuel-efficient American-made cars and a reduction in greenhouse
gas emissions.

"I think there is a contribution of mankind to the warming cycle," he told
Channel 2 news this summer, although he also said he believes the warming
trend is part of a natural cycle hundreds of years in the making.

Stevens harbors no doubt, though, that many Alaska villages face impending
disaster.

"This is a new type of emergency," he said at the Senate hearing. "We get it
first, but it's coming everywhere."

The question for everyone is how to deal with it financially.

Even unpopular alternatives -- such as relocating Shishmaref residents to
Nome -- are expensive. That would cost $93 million, a quarter of which would
pay for new homes, plus another $35 million for new roads in Nome to handle
the population boom.

The price of relocation is so steep, it would be cheaper to buy everyone in
Shishmaref, Newtok and Kivalina a condo in Fairbanks or Anchorage. But if
any government officials are thinking that, or questioning the idea of
rescuing villages, they're not willing to say it.

Landrieu said such thinking is untenable. Natives have made their homes on
the western edge of Alaska for thousands of years, and their traditional way
of life "shouldn't come to an abrupt end," she said.

Stevens said no one has the right to tell people who live in endangered
villages they should pack up and move to a larger town and forfeit their
communities, cultures and lifestyles.

"It's not up to us," he said. "If you're God, yes. But I'm not ready to play
God and tell them what to do."

Landrieu, who saw New Orleans neighborhoods destroyed and Gulf Coast towns
all but wiped out by Hurricane Katrina, said it's cheaper to spend money on
protection and relocation than it is to rebuild. So far the bill for
rebuilding the Gulf Coast is $150 billion, she said.

But there are limits to what taxpayers are willing to take on, she said.

THE FRONT LINES

"It's doubtful the relocation of one of these Native villages would come out
on the positive side of a cost-benefit analysis," said Steve Ellis, vice
president of Taxpayers for Common Sense in Washington, D.C. "But you have to
look at it overall. Is it the right thing to do? Is it what we should do?

"These communities are at the front line of global warming and we have to be
cognizant of two factors. One is, they were here before the bulk of the rest
of us were. And also, what we decide to do there is going to set precedents
and trends for how we're going to react to the same issues on thousands of
miles of coastline in the rest of the country."

In Newtok, state and federal grants are being piecemealed together to
gradually move the town to a safer location. The village is pitching in,
too, with labor and money.

It negotiated a land trade to acquire a new town site on Nelson Island, and
in 2000 the Newtok Traditional Council hired a contractor to help plan the
move. Residents are currently building a couple of homes at the new site,
but they don't have all the heavy equipment they need.

Tom said one of the biggest obstacles is the lack of a single agency or
group to be in charge of planning. Stevens said it's imperative to choose a
single agency for that job -- and to give it authority over others when it
comes to making and carrying out plans.

Meanwhile, Cox said, three groups -- the Corps of Engineers, Village Safe
Water and DOT -- are working together in Newtok.

USE THE PERMANENT FUND?

Steve Ivanoff, a transportation planner from Unalakleet who testified for
western Norton Sound villages at the Senate hearing, said the State of
Alaska could easily come to the rescue by tapping some of the $40 billion in
the Permanent Fund.

Meant to be a rainy-day savings account, Ivanoff figures the need to
relocate villages away from life-threatening storms, floods and erosion
meets the definition of a rainy day.

It may be the federal government's job to come to the aid of Americans under
assault -- and most everyone agrees nature is mounting a serious attack
against the Alaska coast -- but the state has the money right now to
relocate and protect the most imperiled towns, Ivanoff said.

He points to Shaktoolik, a village of 214 that sits on the Norton Sound
coast. It used to be in a safer place, Ivanoff said, but it moved closer to
the shore in the 1930s when the Bureau of Indian Affairs put a school near
the beach because it was cheaper to build there than inland.

In recent years, three major floods have eroded natural barriers that once
protected the town. There is no evacuation road.

"Shaktoolik could be wiped out by the right storm," he said. "We have $40
billion in the bank and we have people living in harm's way that might not
be here in two weeks.

"If something happens to these people, someone will have to look in the
mirror and say, 'You had the opportunity to help these people. Had.' "
 ------------------------------

Find Beth Bragg online at
*adn.com/contact/bbragg*<http://adn.com/contact/bbragg>or call
257-4309.
 ------------------------------

*High cost of erosion*

*Relocation costs*

(For villages not expected to survive 10 years)

Kivalina $95-125 million

Newtok $80-130 million

Shishmaref $100-200 million

*Protection costs*

(For villages with serious annual erosion damage)

Bethel $5 million

Dillingham $10 million

Kaktovik $40 million

Kivalina $15 million

Newtok $90 million

Shishmaref $16 million

Unalakleet $30 million

*Source: 2006 U.S. Army Corps of Engineer study*