[Vision2020] Scientific Consensus: Global Warming: Skepticism & Replicatabilit

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 00:52:55 PDT 2007

On 10/21/07, Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:

Paul wrote on global warming:

> But that's not what I'm
> hearing.  "Something our grandchildren will have to deal with" seems to
> be another way to say "our worst predictions could end up that way if
> nobody does anything about it for the next century and our models are
> correct".

Given it "seems" you are not taking seriously the empirical findings, and
predictions, regarding global warming, supported by the scientific consensus
among climate scientists, well...

Maybe you should, if you have not, study MIT climate scientist Richard
Lindzen's skeptical approach to the IPCC.  Though most climate scientists
disagree with Lindzen, he might agree to some extent with your approach to
modeling of climate science.  I have heard him interviewed, and his
arguments sounded somewhat like yours.  Lindzen is one of the favorites
quoted by the "global warming is too uncertain to take dramatic action on
greenhouse gas emissions" club.  He can make a convincing case, to a layman
such as myself.  But I have read too many other climate scientists who
disagree with him, to believe his skepticism is based on the best science,
and not his motivation to be a "brilliant iconoclast" in the scientific
community.  That's OK.  Science needs brilliant iconoclasts to question what
might otherwise be a too comfortable and complacent conformity.

http://www-eaps.mit.edu/faculty/lindzen.htm

Again, I suggest you contact climate scientists who are issuing the science
based warnings on greenhouse gas emissions that I reference, scientists
working with the IPCC, or the Union of Concerned Scientists, or the Stern
Report, to inform them of their errors.  Because according to many of these
scientists, we are already committed to disruptive climate change with
current atmospheric CO2 levels at about 430 ppm.  And doing nothing to lower
emissions till the end of the century...well...  You can read the
predictions.

Ted Moffett