[Vision2020] Scientific Consensus: Global Warming: Skepticism & Replicatability

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 22:35:58 PDT 2007

Ted, it's all a matter of degree.  I'll make a statement that will make
your day...  Humans are helping the Earth grow warmer and are
contributing to global warming.  If we've burned one liter of gas that
was heretofore underground and out of the carbon cycle, then that has to
be true.

I'm still skeptical that we should be panicking about it.  If the threat
is dire and obvious and imminent, then let's quit dancing around the
issue and call in the troops and start making power plays that will make
our founding fathers roll over in their graves.  But that's not what I'm
hearing.  "Something our grandchildren will have to deal with" seems to
be another way to say "our worst predictions could end up that way if
nobody does anything about it for the next century and our models are
correct".  Fifty years from now, the bastards that are in charge of the
oil companies will have started becoming some future generations oil
supply themselves.  Technology will have changed greatly, and who knows
what the technological landscape will look like then.  Will oil be the
major source of power then?  Maybe, but I doubt it will be as large a
chunk of the pie as it is now.  There was movement in this direction
before the global warming scare.  It's a consequence of the finite oil
supply.

When I'm talking about money for crowing about it, I'm not talking about
back alley deals where the green movement is paying scientists to spin
for them.  I'm talking about which subjects get funding and what
subjects sell well in Barnes and Noble right now.

And yes, I'm still skeptical about the accuracy of these predictive
computer models.  I deal with computers and databases on a daily basis,
so as a layman I feel the right to have somewhat of an opinion on this.
It's a limitation of the data.  That's why our best computer models do
only a little better in predicting the weather a few days out than the
"just assume the weather will be the same as yesterday" model.  To get a
highly accurate model, you would have to factor in the shape of the
terrain, the exact precipitation over a wide area (not just at the
airport) over time, the vegetation over the area because it affects
evaporation rates and ground temperature, the temperature of large
bodies of water, the temperature and course of currents in the ocean,
the composition of the upper atmosphere over any particular point on the
ground, the exact amount of cloud cover at any given time, measurements
of the albedo of the ground as it changes over time due to
precipitation, not to mention the affects of such man-made things as
asphalt, irrigation of crops, burning of fields, raising of dust due to
construction, and who knows what else.  Then you'd have to come up with
a representation that would show you over a wide area just what the
temperatures will be and how they would change throughout the day.  Even
with all that, you have processes that are fundamentally chaotic at the
core of your predictions.  The exact way that clouds change over time
will affect the result.  How do you predict what a cloud will look like
an hour from now?  I think that the computer models for global warming
would have the same problem.  We can't even predict how our Sun behaves
with that kind of accuracy, which would surely affect the model, and
that's as close to straight physics as you can get.  I don't think this
is going to get me money from the oil companies, alas.  They need the
exact same thing the global warming alarmists would need - a highly
accurate predictive model.  Just one that proves what they want.

However, I'm still behind getting rid of our dependence upon oil for
reasons that do affect us right now.  Such as pollution, political
conflict, and the dwindling of the resource.

Paul

P.S.  What do you call the people that think that global warming will
occur?  "Alarmists" sounds too touchy, but "proponents" or "advocates"
sounds too much like they actually want our seas to boil.  "Warners" is
bad grammar and probably infringes on a trademark.