[Vision2020] Are you enabling extremism

Kai Eiselein fotopro63 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 22:45:22 PDT 2007

Ted, when any person or group uses fear to further an agenda, be it political or religious, it can be called terrorism.
Would you say that burning a cross on someone's lawn is not terrifying to the individual that is targeted? There is no intent to murder by merely burning the cross after all.
ALF, ELF and Earth First! all employ tactics that  use fear as a weapon, just like suicide bombers, the KKK or any number of other extremist groups. Their aim is to cow people into doing what they want.
I merely pointed out a parallel, one that has no religious dogma. (That I'm aware of anyway) I guess I could have pointed at Stalin and his use of fear (terror) to control an entire country. Instead of religion, political rhetoric was used. But I wanted to point at something that was more "modern".
Furthermore, the Mafia and drug cartels are well known for using terror tactics. In their cases the driving force is greed, not religion. It could be said that the casual drug user is contributing to "narco-terrorism".
In the end there are many reasons/excuses, not just religious, for the use of terror. The overiding theme is the extreme political/religious/monetary fanatacism that drives them.