[Vision2020] Are you enabling extremism?

david sarff davesway at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 21:13:16 PDT 2007

Paul, et all.
 I think that the issue is really about questioning and unquestioning.  As near as I can tell, faith is not simple because it becomes bound to our most basic infantile issues relating to the sense of containment. Containment is related to comfort, as with the bonded warmth that most persons obtain from their mothers. But we move on from that, and this need becomes easily transferred or projected onto other sources. It becomes a natural crutch inseparable from the self.

It is found in the representation of Linus's blanket. Take his blanket away and he reacts as though his mom or himself were threatened. It takes good surroundings for the child to learn to question the world around it and become independent. Or the blanket might then become transferred to the bottle, or an inflexible dogma.

In the proper environment (and I am not trying to sell one of those here) we find our individual selves and do not require our existence to be verified from an external source. Unfortunately faith can be promoted in such a way as to keep people bound and dependent to outside sources through the discouragement of questioning. When we willingly allow others to believe without question, we are enabling.

 Faith is a fine, even a natural thing, as long as it can remain flexible and free to change.

Dave