[Vision2020] Are you enabling extremism

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 02:24:14 PDT 2007

Kai et. al.

I think it is clear at this point we do not agree on how to define
"terrorism."  Read my most recent post to Paul R. on this issue (subject:
Are you enabling extremism?) where I attempt to clarify with examples what
is and is not terrorism.  I ask him for documentation of his claims
regarding "eco-terrorism" also.  I have studied scholarly articles on
terrorism, and it can be a difficult concept to define and apply precisely.
A too broad definition is dangerous for civil rights, the right to protest,
and engage in civil disobedience, in my opinion.

In this post to Paul R. I also mention some of the negative impacts of
religious thinking based on denial of scientific evidence and unquestioning
belief in religious principles that are highly doubtful.  We could discuss
this same basic theme, with modifications, as it applies to Stalin, Hitler,
Pol Pot, Mao, or various less explicitly religious movements, that also
featured denial of evidence and unquestioning belief in highly doubtful
principles.  But the focus of Paul's original post was on widespread
acceptance of highly questionable religious belief (like absolute belief
that the Bible or Koran is the literal word of the creator of the universe)
promoting a mindset in society where extremism of various kinds can be
justified, politicians use religion to manipulate a gullible public for
cynical ends, and critical global problems science is warning need to be
addressed are dismissed  This is not a trivial problem.  It should be
addressed frankly and critically.  There are widespread negative effects,
even though most of the people who follow the religious beliefs involved are
good decent people.

Of course, many Christians do not take the Bible literally.  They view it
more metaphorically or allegorically, even if still believing it is divinely
inspired, with human errors introduced into the "translation" from above.
But it is astonishing how many view the Bible (or Koran) literally, and
based on this, justify beliefs and actions that are, frankly, downright
frightening.

Kai wrote:

Any belief, taken too far, can result in fanatical zealots willing to kill
anyone opposed to their viewpoint.
I agree with this... Even soccer matches can result in deaths among the
insane crazed fans!  Can you believe it?

Ted Moffett