[Vision2020] Keeping the election civil

jeanlivingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Mon Oct 1 18:07:40 PDT 2007

Pasted in this message is a letter to the editor from tonight's Daily
News by Gerard Connelly, with which I wholeheartedly agree.  My
on-line comments on the DN's web site follow the letter.

Bruce Livingston

Monday, October 1, 2007 - Page Updated at 12:00:00 AM

Refrain from personal attacks

Recently two letters to the editor in the Daily News contained gross
personal attacks against members of the Greater Moscow Alliance that I
believe deserve a response.

One writer, in reference to the newly passed housing ordinance, stated
that the only thing the GMA cares about is profit. Another writer
stated that GMA members are "evil" and "hate children."

I happened to serve on a board whose sole purpose is to care for and
support Latah County residents with disabilities, with two GMA
members, including Steve Busch, GMApresident.

Busch (as well as many other GMA members) has for decades contributed,
with great generosity, his money, time and energy to many
organizations and causes in Moscow for the benefit of children, the
disabled, the elderly and the poor. He is absolutely one of the best
human beings that it has ever been my privilege to know.

I may not always agree with Moscow Mayor Nancy Chaney but, like Busch,
she is highly intelligent, of impeccable integrity and generosity and
I believe her sole motivation is what she sincerely believes to be in
the best interest of the citizens of Moscow.

I implore readers of the Daily News and writers of letters to the
editor to speak out on the issues on a level of mutual respect and to
refrain from personal attacks and judgment of other's motives.

L. Gerard Connelly, Moscow

I commend Gerard Connelly on his request that people refrain from the
personal attacks in this upcoming, very competitiveelection.  I, too,
have the greatest respect for my neighbor, Steve Busch, and our Mayor
Nancy Chaney.  They are both great people who sincerely believe that
their vision of what is best for Moscow is right, even though they
disagree in that vision not on everything, of course, but in some very
significant ways.

Attacks on people who have a different vision are uncalled for.  I
don't believe that anyone at the GMA or the MCA or our city government
or any of our candidates is "Evil" or "hates  children" or "doesn't
care about the poor because they opposed a Wal-Mart."

The MCA and the current council have been hit with a continuous mantra
that we are anti-business and anti-growth, and while I disagree
strenuously with that notion, I can live with the fact that others
disagree with our vision.  That is what elections are for.

In the same way, I have some significant differences with my friends
in the GMA, and I would hope that we candisagree amicably, but
respectfully.

Kudos to Gerard for saying so.

BDL