[Vision2020] Trades and school

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 23:24:22 PST 2007

I was going to post something on this topic, so I'll tack it onto this
thread since it relates and since the subject matches.  What is it that
we want of our children when they graduate?  Do we want recent graduates
to be able to make a living in a trade?  Do we want students to be able
to go to college so they can make a living using a higher degree?

It seems to me that there needs to be more than that.  The way I look at
it, there is a body of knowledge that has been teased out of the world
over the generations by our ancestors.  The generations that are
currently alive today are it's keepers.  We have a responsibility to do
a few things with that body of knowledge.  We must first use it - thus
we must each learn what we can of it and how to employ it to make our
lives better.  This is a lifelong endeavor.  This includes the
techniques of trade craft as well as the engineering sciences, and many
of the other higher education degrees such as history or English.  It
also includes such ideas as learning from our mistakes and not repeating
history yet again.  We must also protect this body of knowledge.  We
must instill in our students the worthiness of learning for it's own
sake, so that this knowledge will not disappear in some upcoming Dark
Age.  And we must add to it.  We must have the knowledge, the genius,
the will, and the ambition to tease yet more secrets out of Nature.

People need to feed themselves and their families.  This is obviously
important.  But to limit ourselves only  to that will lead to a
diminished body of knowledge and will ultimately result in our decline
as a species.

What does everyone else think about this?

information that is used by all trades.  Some math, reading
comprehension, the ability to memorize, and the application of logic
spring to mind.  I'm sure there are others.  I imagine that all trades
require further training, although that training may be done in the old
way of a master training an apprentice.  Many of the trades require
licenses, exams, and/or the ability to perform on command.  Some trades,
such as your example of an x-ray technician, involve more formal
training than others.

Just as an aside, I would classify my current job as a computer
programmer / analyst as a trade as opposed to an engineering
discipline.  It requires a mixture of skill, knowledge, and experience.
A computer science degree from a university certainly helps, but it can
also be picked up by a talented 12-year old to one degree or another
without formal training.  It's my hope that more actual engineering
traits will be used in this discipline, such as measurements of
correctness and more formal ways of determining if there are bugs in the
code.  Some day, we will license our programmers so that there will be
less shoddy, bug-ridden code out there.

Paul