[Vision2020] Trades and school

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 23:24:13 PST 2007

Tom I,

  I think you need math, science, and English just to cross the street, or drive a car. What specific skills do is allow students specialized training to practice a trade or job so they can enter the job market above the minimum wage level.

  Many school put lots of resources in things like getting higher SAT scores, and getting students into the best colleges as possible. Yet the 75% of people that don't finish college or start college are left to eek out an existence in non-college jobs. 75% of our resources should be geared to training the 75% of the students that don't finish college. When we spend all our money on furthering the careers of the top 25% that is unfair.

  Best,

  Donovan

Tom Ivie <the_ivies3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I've always wondered how many of the trades require math, science, english, etc.  You know the core stuff you learn in school. I keep hearing the term trades and I don't really understand what that means.  I have friends that became plumbers and electricians after graduating from college.  I remember from a math class in high school where we designed roof trusses using math. I think we did angles and some algebra using many real life examples of numerous occupations.  The one that stands out the most to me was an x-ray technician. Do most trades require further training beyond high school?

Tom & Liz Ivie
  Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. =======================================================
List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com