[Vision2020] Seeking some definitions -- just what do you mean?

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sun Nov 18 16:11:46 PST 2007

Scott Dredge wrote:
"Doug has written numerous times about his disdain for homosexuals
and how he
should be allowed to throw homosexuals out of his hypothetical
restaurant and that
landlords should be able to refuse renting to homosexuals, etc.
Preaching
that type of discrimination against a minority group such as
homosexuals is bigotry."

Christopher Witmer wrote:
Scott, let's get two things clear. First, Doug Wilson is no more
bigoted than the Bible, and he is no more bigoted than the framers of
the Constitution. Acceptance of homosexual behavior in American
society is an extremely recent phenomenon, and it is only
accomplished with a rejection of the Bible and the beliefs of the
framers of the Constitution. There is simply no getting around that
reality. If you wish to excoriate Doug's beliefs as bigotry, you
cannot avoid excoriating the religious beliefs that have been held on
the basis of the Bible for the past 4,000 years. If you wish to
pillory Doug for his opposition to homosexual behavior, you must
likewise pillory the framers of the Constitution for their opposition
to homosexual behavior, because those men oversaw the formulation of
the legislation against homosexual acts that have been on the law
books until very recently. Essentially, to be consistent you have to
say that the entire basis of American civilization is bigotry. But if
you are consistent and say that, it puts you in the position of
seeking, as it were, the overthrow of American civilization. I am of
the position that just such a moral revolution has taken place in
American society since the 1960s. Essentially, you and the people who
began this ethical rebellion back in the 1960s are allied in an
attempt to overthrow the very basis of American civilization, which
is biblical morality.

[rest snipped]

Ralph Nielsen:
What an interesting rant. I suppose we have to be thankful that "Doug
Wilson is no more bigoted than the Bible." Unfortunately, the Bible
is one big, bigoted book. It is filled with superstition and
ignorance from cover to cover. Why would any honest, moral person
want to follow many of the precepts of this book?

Chris is wrong about the age of the Bible. The oldest parts of it are
only about 3,000 years old and the New Testament is only about 2,000
years old. It is certainly not the "very basis of American
civilization." And just what does Chris mean by "biblical morality"?
Oh, I know, anything that Doug Wilson or any other "authority"
decrees it to be. In fact, morality has nothing to do with religion
at all.