[Vision2020] boycotting & religion

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 10:38:21 PST 2007

Since you've nicely numbered them for me, I'll reply to each one
individually...

Joe Campbell wrote:
> Paul,
>
> You are incorrectly describing Keely’s position and talking past her.
>
> First, where does Keely say anything about boycotting Christ Church
> businesses? She is merely talking about her personal choice of where to
> shop, which you note is her business.

She mentions Francis Foucachon's objections to boycotts in the first
section.  I realize that she is not advocating for them on a mass scale
in that email.  But since she brought the subject up, I'm discussing it
by giving her my take on it.  I'm sorry if I either gave the impression
that she was advocating that, or if in a flurry of writing, I lost track
of that point myself.  However the public statement "I won't shop there"
could likely be construed as being in favor of a boycott.  My apologies
if I screwed up on that one.
> Second, I don't know of anyone who is critical of Christ Church affiliated
> people merely because of their religious beliefs. Keely made this point below
> but you ignore it.

I think trying to frame this as not being about religion is simply
incorrect.  Keely mentions that she holds similar beliefs, then a couple
sentences later takes Doug Wilson to task for being arrogant, evasive,
and prejudiced "in the name of the religion he and I both share".  That,
I think, is the crux of it.  If he was merely some nutjob who wasn't
religious going around getting people to share his viewpoint, I wonder
if he would be considered to be such a large target.
> Third, how can you call the belief that slavery was OK a religious belief? How
> can you call the belief that Islam is a religion of hate a religious belief? I could go on.

They believe that slavery back then must have been ok, because it is
mentioned in the bible under favorable terms in some places (according
to their reading of it anyway - I'm not an expert) and it was people of
faith doing the enslaving.  I think it's self-deceiving and that it is
in fact another great example of letting your beliefs cloud your
findings, but I would also say that it is a religious belief.  If the
people at that time owning slaves were Muslims or if it was the white
Christians who were enslaved, they would likely believe that slavery
back then was a heinous crime.  I wonder if they even see that fact.

Their beliefs and their apparent lack of respect for facts, evidence,
and science have led them to believe many strange things.
> Fourth, please tell us what you think about some of the recent political actions
> of members of Christ Church -- the sign suggesting that three candidates are
> bigots, and Dale Courtney's involvement with an anti-levy ad, where he used
> the name of a dead man instead of his own name. In light of these and other
> actions, how can you continue to think that Christ Church is merely a church?

 I think the guy with the sign was an idiot.  He's welcome to believe
that, though, and if he owned a business here (I don't know if he does
or not) I would not let it affect whether or not I bought from him.
He's merely expressing his opinion in alignment with the First
Ammendment.  I usually don't care what the guy behind the counter
handing me a fresh donut thinks about religion or politics.  I think
that Dale Courtney, if he did actually take over moscowlevy.com and
place those ads, is an asshat and should face the legal consequences for
it.  That doesn't affect whether or not I shop at Christ Church owned
businesses, since he alone would be at fault here.  If he owned a shop
here in town (I don't know if he does or not), it might be enough for me
to avoid it, assuming he was found to be guilty.  This isn't just a
wacko belief in this case, he would have been actively deceptive and
manipulative.  I'm not sure I want to shop where the management is known
to behave that way.

I think they are merely a church.  Churches have been political since
their inception.  In fact, I would say that they exist so that they can
be political.  I can fight them on the political front if I need to.
If, for instance, they tried to pass Chris's Trinitarian Oath idea I
would fight it tooth and nail.  Yet I still think that taking any of
that out on the people that happen to believe their crap is wrong.

And, just to make sure nobody is talking past anyone here, what do you
think about the divide that is growing in Moscow between kirkers and
non-kirkers?  Are we going to end up with two separate business
districts and a big fence between them?  Are we going to start
boycotting people who do business with these businesses, because a
portion of that money gets back to Doug Wilson somehow?  Is this at all
healthy for this town?  Are there any ideas for fixing this?  Should
they be run out of town on a rail?  Maybe we could help this situation
by divorcing the idea of the politically-motivated people running the
show from the people who simply believe their take on Christianity.

Paul