[Vision2020] School District Math

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Wed May 30 13:08:06 PDT 2007

Mike,  I don't disagree with you.  If you are angry because you feel
cheated, I  would admit you have a legitimate right to that anger.  You were
a diligent and enjoyable student.  So what do we do now?  I know every class
we institute should be done with care for all student needs and given what
you are saying we failed you.  I do so want a school district where all
students have the choices they need to make good post high school decisions.
Messages from former students who really did take their high school
offerings seriously, do resonate with me.  You were one of those.  It seems
to me there must be room somewhere for those such as I who don't want
students to be relegated to descriptors such as college bound and non
college bound, and others such as you who want students who have been
underserved or unserved to be seen as people with legitimate needs which the
district is not meeting, to design and implement programs that will meet
those students' needs.

When you were in high school we were kicking around the idea of building a
comprehensive multi-district high school to serve non-college bound students
with vocational/technical skills.  I didn't like the idea then, and I don't
like the idea now, but it seems to me there ought to be ways to integrate
those offerings through cooperative programs with the U of I, LCSC, and
other nearby districts--but honestly I'm getting into an area where I don't
have current knowledge of what is already taking place.

Thanks for your perspective.  I appreciate it.

Sue