[Vision2020] In Support of Community Radio

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue May 22 08:37:54 PDT 2007

Marc, you're right, and I echo every word you said regarding KRFP's service to the community.keelyTo: vision2020 at moscow.comFrom: msl at moscow.comDate: Tue, 22 May 2007 07:58:05 -0700Subject: [Vision2020] In Support of Community RadioVision2020,I am writing to express my support and thanks to KRFP 92.5fm/Radio Free Moscow for their exceptional community service during the recent sniper crisis.  When our son, a University of Idaho student, called  us from Moscow after midnight that night to tell us about the  shooting, I was able to learn what was going on by listening to KRFP,  whose volunteer DJ's stayed all night, reporting police updates about  every fifteen minutes throughout the night as the event was  occurring.  Tonight I was able to visit KRFP's website and listen to their archived recording of today's press conference.Radio Free Moscow has been on the air since 2004, but many people  still have either not heard of the station or they're not sure where  it is on their radio or what it's about.  A big part of what  community radio is about is the thousands of hours volunteered by  local citizens to make it happen. Thousands per year.  Volunteered.   KRFP's efforts this weekend are a fine example of what community  radio can be.Locally-grown, commercial-free radio broadcasts add up for the community in many of the same ways that locally-grown food seems to make more and more sense these days.  It's really fresh, produced on  the Palouse by our neighbors and it supports the community in which  we live.The radio station is at 92.5 fm.  Their program schedule, broadcast archives and live internet stream are at www.radiofreemoscow.com and www.krfp.org.  I strongly urge people to familiarize themselves with the radio station as a resource for times when a local and immediate source of news and information is needed.  Sometimes we need to know now, not later, when the TV crews get here or the newspapers are next  available.  KRFP was that local resource for my family this weekend.Thanks again to the dedicated volunteers and station manager Leigh Robartes at KRFP.Best regards,Marc LawrencePotlatch, Idaho