[Vision2020] kudos to KRFP!

Sally Perrine sperrine at potlatch.com
Tue May 22 08:01:17 PDT 2007

An excellent letter from Marc Lawrence to the DN re KRFP's service to the
community in
the aftermath of last weekend's shootings:

I am writing to express my support and thanks to KRFP 92.5fm/Radio
Free Moscow for their exceptional community service during the recent
sniper crisis.  When our son, a University of Idaho student, called
us from Moscow after midnight that night to tell us about the
shooting, I was able to learn what was going on by listening to KRFP,
whose volunteer DJ's stayed all night, reporting police updates about
every fifteen minutes throughout the night as the event was
occurring.  Tonight I was able to visit KRFP's website and listen to
their archived recording of today's press conference.

Radio Free Moscow has been on the air since 2004, but many people
still have either not heard of the station or they're not sure where
it is on their radio or what it's about.  A big part of what
community radio is about is the thousands of hours volunteered by
local citizens to make it happen. Thousands per year.  Volunteered.
KRFP's efforts this weekend are a fine example of what community
radio can be.

Locally-grown, commercial-free radio broadcasts add up for the
community in many of the same ways that locally-grown food seems to
make more and more sense these days.  It's really fresh, produced on
the Palouse by our neighbors and it supports the community in which
we live.

The radio station is at 92.5 fm.  Their program schedule, broadcast
archives and live internet stream are at www.radiofreemoscow.com and
www.krfp.org.  I strongly urge people to familiarize themselves with
the radio station as a resource for times when a local and immediate
source of news and information is needed.  Sometimes we need to know
now, not later, when the TV crews get here or the newspapers are next
available. KRFP was that local resource for my family this weekend.

Thanks again to the dedicated volunteers and station manager Leigh
Robartes at KRFP.

Sincerely,

Marc Lawrence
Potlatch, Idaho