[Vision2020] the energy cost of oil sands

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Tue May 8 10:00:36 PDT 2007

Greetings from Edmonton,

The University of Alberta, where my daughter works, is receiving huge
funding increases from Alberta's oil, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining.

Here are some items from the "The Edmonton Journal" from the last two
days.  First, there is a huge surplus of sulphur building up from the
oil sands extraction process.  These pools and piles pose
environmental risks that Alberta's oil industry has not invested
enough to prevent. In 1995 a sulphur fire killed many people and
destroyed the cropland around the South African town of Macassar.

Second, a recent poll showed that 70 percent of Albertans want a
absolute reduction in pollution from the oil industry.

Third, so what does the government do in response?  In their new
strict pollution measures, the oil industry is exempted and allowed a
5 percent increase in nitrogen oxide levels and a 60 percent in
volatile organic compounds until 2015.

Just as in the U.S., where oil is king, the kings get their way.

P.S. A Canadian study on the effects of same sex parenting, done
under the previous Liberal government, was finally released by the
current Conservative government only after the authors insisted that
it be published.  The results showed that lesbian parents might
actually raise slightly better children, results consistent with most
all other studies.

Nick Gier