[Vision2020] the energy cost of oil sands

mark seman fcs at moscow.com
Tue May 8 01:25:36 PDT 2007

Ted,
I understand some of the "benefits" of He3 are: less energy is lost in the
form of neutrons that escape magnetic containment and the containment
mechanism is less arduous for He3 reactors.  He3 is rare on Earth, but
abundant on our moon.  I don't know or understand much of this science; a
recent documentary piqued my interest and I visited a few websites.
Whatever the best technology is (will be) there are significant plans being
developed by various nations to mine the moon.

I do not expect fusion to cure mankinds appetite for energy and neglect of
nature's balance.  I do think it is interesting, the extent in which man
will go to acquire new & better w/o fully comprehending the resulting
implications, and even ignoring problems from past shortsightedness.
Mankind seems to frequently look away from the mirror to find solutions to
self-created problems.  Sometimes that works well, but we are want to ignore
one obvious solution - namely don't do what we've been doing.

As long as the major litmus test for progress is monetary profit for private
sector investors, I do not hold much hope for environmental & social issues
to be at the fore-front until a crisis is at our door.  Even though these
issues offer profit for entrepreneurial investors, it's slow for markets to
change direction.

Mark

mark r. seman, architect
       v=928.925.7617