[Vision2020] Gardening

Matt Decker mattd2107 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 18 22:01:04 PDT 2007

J,

I'm second guessing answering your question, due too your normally chewing
anybodys head off that disagrees with you, but what the hay.

A garden is meant to be planted aroune mid-late may. Depends though on the
temp/rainfall,plant species,etc.

Strawberries are around the same time and are quite duarable. I'm sure your
aware they come back each year, but the first year, most likely they will
not produce fruit, or if they do will be very limited.

Toms are grown around here with great regularity. Toms like warm/humid moist
conditions. A Tom "hut" or greenhouse can be very useful. If not keep inside
until frost is gone. They can be very picky so it all depends on variety,
water, fertilizer, weather, and soil conditions.

Carrots are pretty durable, but they mostly like a good nutrient enhanced
sand/loose soil condition. Medium amount of water is needed.

You should always augment soil. whether it be planting a garden or lawn.
Composts will add nutrients at a minimal cost and will give you satisfaction
in your efforts. Most soils in Moscow are clay based so adding gypsum or
lime can go a long ways. COMPOST ALWAYS HELPS.

Grass seed on the other hand depends upon shade, moisture, soil, what kind
of grass you want, and many more conditions. Example; if yoiu have pine
trees that have a bunch of needles under it and no grass, will most likely
not ever have grass. Not saying that it can't, but needles produce too much
acid for most seed to succeed.

If you are unsure or have more questions you would contact your local
nursery. I would suggest Crossroads Nursery. They carry many types of grass
seed,vegatables, and strawberries that you have mentioned.

Hope that helps.
Matt