[Vision2020] "The wealth of a country is its working people" Theodor Herzel (Letter to the Editor)

Jerry Weitz gweitz at moscow.com
Sun Mar 18 19:07:50 PDT 2007

Latah County Graduation Completion Rates:
Year:       2006   2005   2004   2003
Genesee    96%   95%  100%  100%
Kendrick    94%   88%    93%    86%
Moscow     93%   88%    86%    85%
Potlatch    100%  97%    95%    90%
Troy          100% 100%  100%  100%
Whitepine    94%  86%  100%   95%
State          na      87%    84%   80%

We know that under Virginia's former Govenor Warner, that voc ed (skills
training) and dual enrollment were greatly enhanced.Virginia's graduation
rate went to 94.6%.  We also know that the MSD has virtually no voc ed, a
compacted school year, not enough emphasis on dual enrollment at UI, and an
unacceptable drop out rate for a College town.  Pullman has a stable
enrollment, much better graduation rates, quality voc ed, and has students
enrolled full time at WSU.  Further, there are 15 southeastern Idaho
districts in which students can complete two years of college from ISU
before graduating from high school.  MSD does not have anything like
this.  When the levy passes, Pullman will spend about $400-$700 less per
student on operations than Moscow.  "Our culture puts a false premium on
the college degree.  Large numbers of those who are intellectually
qualified for college also do not yearn for four years of college-level
courses."  The Wall Street Journal -Jan. 17.07.    The MSD has been less
than forthright about offering skills training that results in industry
certification.  It is not about money. It is about MSD's philosophy of
compacting instructional days, not dealing with a 360 student enrollment
decline with a total staff reduction of 1.74, not promoting a year or two
of dual enrollment, and focusing on more staff per student which limits
curriculum.  Jerry