[Vision2020] Poster Biographies

Brent Bradberry brentbradberry at clearwire.net
Thu Jun 28 10:24:24 PDT 2007

Hi - I am Brent Bradberry, a very infrequent poster. I'm happy to let
the list know who I am (you can hit delete when the boredom factor gets
too high).

Born 1939, Los Angeles. Lynwood H. S. class of 1956, 2 yrs Compton Jr
College, then Pepperdine College (football scholarship). The year after
I graduated, Pepperdine dropped the football program (I'll let you draw
any conclusions you wish!). Joined the Naval Reserve as a weekend
warrior in 1957 and accepted a Regular Navy commission after graduating
from Pepperdine, married, and went to sea in rapid order (hard to
believe, but my beautiful, talented and long-suffering wife is still
with me after 46 years). After 3 years at sea my first shore duty was
teaching gunnery and naval history at the U of I NROTC. When we arrived
in Moscow in 1964 we decided that this was home, and it has been ever
since, although we were  here only for short visits between 1967 - 1982.

I managed to earn an MS in Math at U of I before going back to sea in
1967. After 2 tours with the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club I went ashore again,
teaching calculus at the Naval Academy. After that, back to sea again -
my favorite tour was commanding USS POWER (DD 839), homeported in New
York (specifically Fort Schuyler in the North Bronx). Retired from the
Navy in 1982, moved back to Moscow and went back to school for Ph. D.
(Math) at WSU. After that, taught at LCSC for 17 years. Fully retired
now and living outside of town, but within the M. S. D.  Donna and I
keep busy enjoying the outdoors and visiting our 3 daughters (one of
whom lives in Moscow, one in Tacoma and one in Hood River) and 5
grandchildren.

One of our daughters and one of our grand-daughters are MHS grads and
one grandson is currently at MHS. As you can see from my bio, I have
attended and/or taught at schools of many kinds. I have an understanding
of, and some fond memories of private, religious colleges (after all, I
met my wife at Pepperdine), but I am a firm supporter of public
education  at all levels. A widely supported public education system is
one of the most important strengths of our country.

Warm regards to all,
Brent Bradberry