[Vision2020] orange jumpsuit

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Thu Jun 21 06:27:46 PDT 2007

Jford says, in a couple emails:

"The people in that neighborhood feel that [Deputy Gray] let them down .
. . [I] believe that he should have taken his job a
little more seriously - that of protecting the public from creeps like
Sitler - and he should have made it known at LEAST to the day care that
Sitler was there . . . [Sitler] was allowed to move into a neighborhood
that had a day care, a park AND an elementary school all within striking

distance."

A few points:
1.  It's not Deputy Gray's job to let the neighborhood know who lives
where -- Deputies probably aren't necessarily informed where every bad
guy lives on a daily basis, since (and someone of higher legal stature
than myself could probably verify) even though those offenders are
supposed to report their whereabouts at regular intervals, but they can
sometimes slip through the system until the next time they are supposed
to report (as we've seen on a few occasions with press releases from the
Sheriff's Dept).
2.  Sitler's whereabouts were available to everyone with a computer and
internet connection, all you have to know is a zip code or how to spell
the name.  I do agree with Wayne, though, that maybe the paper can -- at
the very least -- publish a list of offenders and their addresses on a
monthly (or even weekly) basis.
3.  I believe Idaho Code says where an offender can live, and maybe
those distances to schools, parks, daycares, etc. needs to be revisited.
4.  I'd feel just as creeped out as Debbie Gray does by someone -- who
doesn't live in my 'hood -- and their "stalking behavior" (Debbie's
words, not mine) as I feel about a registered sex offender living near
my 'hood.  At least I have a picture and a name of the sex offender
available to me.

Mind you, I'd just as soon see any and all convicted sex offenders
strung up by their . . . (well, you know what I mean) and I'm personally
vigilant about keeping my children safe.  I don't care who they are or
what church they go to, they're all scum in my book.  I do believe,
however, that some people have a tendency to go off half-cocked toward
our law enforcement professionals.

And Jford, don't go buttering up the MPD now, because I recall you
vilifying them in regards to your perception that they lacked
appropriate response regarding some hooliganism of Idaho athlete renters
and various instances of graffiti around town.  Having worked closely
with both the MPD and the LCSO (and having good friends in both), I've
got nothin' but love for 'em.

Hopefully that keeps me on their good side.  More to follow, I'm sure.

DC