[Vision2020] Sam Harris, Buddhism, and Atheism

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 13 13:30:16 PDT 2007

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the additional information on Sam Harris.  I have only read "The End of Faith," but this extra reading simply confirms my opinion that his blanket condemnation of religious faith is not a constructive position at all.

With regard to calling him an atheist, I submit that the fact that Harris wrote "An Atheist Manifesto" for Truthdig justifies my use of the term. In "The Sun" interview you provided he then admits that atheism "an unnecessary term."  OK, where does he stand, then?

Pew Research is a pretty sober outfit, so I'll join them in calling this gang "secular fundamentalists." Perhaps you did not read to the end of my essay, so here is the conclusion with one word change:

"At the turn of the 20th Century many conservative Christians urged the return to the "fundamentals" of biblical inerrancy and the divinity of Christ.  Our atheists want everyone to use science and empirical tests as the "fundamentals" for their lives. I certainly prefer the latter to the former, but it is still far from being the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

With regard to Buddhism, I'm very happy that Harris chooses not to call himself a Buddhist, because he disses the entire tradition.  Here are some examples, the first one from your own source:

"And, in any case, 99 percent of Buddhists practice Buddhism as a religion, and therefore are part of the same egregious discourse."

"There are millions of Buddhist who do not seem to know this [that Buddhism is not a religion], and they can be found in temples throughout Southeast Asia, and even the in West, praying to Buddha as though he were a numinous incarnation of Santa Claus" ("End of Faith," p. 283).

On page 284, he strongly implies that the Dalai Lama practices bad faith when he meets with other religious leaders, something that all his admirers would be offended by.

And for someone who has been through the philosophy program at Stanford, I'm amazed at his uncritical acceptance of a dense and impenetrable Buddhist text as "a rigorous empirical document" (ibid., p. 217).  Misusing the term "mysticism," he says that this text expresses mystical truth, which is real non-dualistic truth as opposed to the "dualisms" of superstitious traditional religions.

The following statement would make any scholar of religion frown: "Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. . . . [Mysticism] would be the beginning of a rational approach to our deepest personal concerns.  It would also be the end of faith" (ibid., p. 221).  I believe that this is just as much gibberish as some of the religious doctrine that he condemns.

I could go on with comments about what a bad book "The End of Faith" is.  For example, he is very confused and wrong on many examples of religiously motivated violence. And quoting violent passages from scripture doesn't mean that people who believe in that scripture will necessarily be violent.

We should judge the hundreds of millions of Muslims in moderate Muslim countries by their actions not their alleged beliefs.

 Nick Gier