[Vision2020] Sam Harris, Buddhism, and Atheism

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 16:43:37 PDT 2007

*So you don't need any recourse to the supernatural in Buddhism?*

The core truths of Buddhism, the truth of selflessness, for instance.  It's
simply a fact that it is possible to realize that the ego, as you presently
feel it and conceive of it, is an illusion. You can experience the continuum
of consciousness without the sense of self.  This experience can be had
without believing anything on insufficient evidence. You can simply be
taught to look closely enough at your experience, to de-construct the sense
of self, and then discover what the consequences are of that happening. And
the consequences turn out to be very positive. There's a whole discourse in
Buddhism about the relief of psychological suffering, the transcendence of
self, and the nature of positive human emotions like compassion and loving
kindness. These phenomena have been mapped out with incredible rigor in
Buddhism, and one doesn't need to swallow any mumbo jumbo to find this
discourse useful.

And yet, much that people believe under the guise of Buddhism is dubious:
certainties about re-birth, the idea that one's teacher in the Tibetan
tradition is absolutely the reincarnation of some previous historical
personality—all of this stuff is held rather dogmatically by most Buddhists,
and I think we should be skeptical of it. If people present evidence of
it,—and there's certainly been some interesting studies on the subject of
rebirth—we should look at the evidence.  As someone once said,
"extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

--Sam Harris, answering the above question:  weblink to interview given
lower down

------------------------

Nick et. al.

Your original posting of your essay, my brief response, and your reply, are
included below.

I did not specifically object to calling Harris an "atheist."  My comments
on Sam Harris's "atheism" focused on your implication that he was minimizing
the important role emotion plays in people's lives.  I think that his
comments on the compassion that Buddhist meditation can inspire contradict
this assessment, as well as the fact Harris is very well aware of the
powerful emotions that motivate people to commit violence, especially when
given inspiration by irrational religious beliefs that are held without fact
and reason based examination.  The very fact that human beings are such
overwhelmingly emotional beings is exactly why the excesses of irrational
belief that religion often propagandizes renders these beliefs so dangerous,
thus the insistence on a reason and fact based examination of irrational
religious beliefs to lessen their danger.

Also, you did not merely call him an "atheist," you said he was a member of
the "Atheist Brigade," a silly attempt at disparaging his viewpoint with a
militant image.  Harris in no way advocates "militancy," nor is he a member
of a "brigade."  You may think his skills in philosophy and theology are
lacking, but I was taken aback that you would engage in this sort of emotion
laden labeling.  Calling someone a member of a "brigade" might make good
copy for culture war polemics (Nick Gier, member of the Leftist Academic
Brigade, someone might claim!) and no doubt appeals to those who wish to
denigrate Harris's viewpoint, but like his message or not, I respect his
attempts to confront the irrationality and denial of science that poses for
religious faith among tens of millions in the USA, or anywhere, for that
matter.  For example, hot off today's news:

 Southern Baptist resolution questions role in global warming  6/14/2007,
7:37 a.m. ET **
*The Associated Press*

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Southern Baptists yesterday approved a resolution on
global warming that questions the prevailing scientific belief that humans
are largely to blame for the phenomenon.

The resolution also warns that increased regulation of greenhouse gases will
hurt the poor.

The global warming debate has split evangelicals, with some not only
pressing the issue but arguing humans bear most of the responsibility for
the problem because of greenhouse gas emissions. Other evangelicals say
talking about the issue at all diminishes their influence over more
traditional culture war issues such as abortion, gay marriage and judicial
appointments.

The S-B-C resolution, approved near the end of the denomination's annual
meeting, acknowledges a rise in global temperatures. But it rejects
government-mandated limits on carbon-dioxide and other emissions as "very
dangerous" because they might not make much difference and could lead to
"major economic hardships" worldwide.

------------------------

I also stand by my original assessment that calling Sam Harris a "secular
fundamentalist" fails to take into consideration that his reason and fact
based approach to ideology should not be described by the word
"fundamentalist," given this word's common use to describe those of a
dogmatic religious orientation that denies the well researched and reasoned
conclusions of science.  As I stated, if you have facts or arguments that
can convince Harris his questioning of the irrational superstitious beliefs
of many religions is unfounded, he will consider the evidence or arguments
you present.  A religious "fundamentalist" will not be open to this
same reason and fact based approach, when the rubber hits the road.  For
example, how many millions of true believers in the USA continue to deny the
evidence for the evolution of the human species from lower life forms on
this planet?  These people are "fundamentalists" in the true sense of
this word, who deny the validity of science on many issues to the point of
irrational superstition, to my way of thinking.  Harris's approach to
knowledge should not be labeled with the same label applied to
evolution/science deniers of an extreme religious bent, in my opinion.
In regards to his expertise on Buddhism, he may very well be in error on
numerous points; nonetheless, my previous point that he is open to valuable
aspects of the Buddhist tradition, and his suggestion that he is open to
the evidence for "rebirth," a revelation it appears you conveniently ignored
to make your case, weakens your implication he's a "secular fundamentalist"
in the dogmatic sense you appear to portray him.  Can you imagine a
Christian fundamentalist evolution denier saying that there are some
interesting studies on the evolution of the human species from lower life
forms, that we should look at the evidence?

"....there's certainly been some interesting studies on the subject of
rebirth—we should look at the evidence."  Sam Harris

Harris may overstate his criticisms of some forms of religious belief,
drawing too sharp a line between religious experience, intuition, the role
of visionary states of experience, and the world of reason and science.  But
he has stated that he has taken heat for being open to the evidence for the
paranormal and other less "scientific" means of knowledge.  Again, I think
you are being unfair to his overall attempt to consider all claims of
knowledge with some some degree of open mindedness, if evidence can be
presented and defended rationally.

-----

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett