[Vision2020] Follow up - Islam the religion of peace!

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 16:12:05 PDT 2007

Donovan wrote:

> One can believe in a God  and worship without blindly following religious
> doctrine.

So are you saying that you have any doubt that whatever form of "God" you
believe in, and I am assuming that you believe in some form of a
monotheistic God that is the only God over all creation, actually exists as
you believe they do?  If you have any doubts that you have the ultimate
truth regarding this issue, then to some extent you are an agnostic!  If you
have no doubt whatsoever that your form of religious belief about "God" is
the absolute truth, than my comment stands: you believe "blindly," because I
do not think the evidence when rationally examined can lead to absolute
certainty about what form the superior being or beings in our universe
assumes, nor what this "God" or "Gods," if they exist, will most favor in
terms of human belief systems.

Could it not be the case that "God" deliberately placed us in a position
where he/she knew that the evidence for his/her existence was so weak, that
given the most honest approach to the evidence, and the best application of
human reason, that agnosticism was the most honest response, the most
rational application of our God given intelligence?  And that being able to
admit this doubt, while still living a kind and compassionate life, is the
real test before us, not the surrender to absolute belief in supernatural
beings that some religions insist is the only path to salvation?

I am reminded of a prominent member of the Moscow community who insisted
that the path to salvation is not good works, but giving your heart and
life to Jesus Christ.  This sort of approach to spirituality and Ethics I
find particularly troubling, given that it implies that a life of kindness
and compassion from an agnostic will result in damnation, while a life of
brutality and cruelty will still be rewarded with salvation if the offender
gives their heart and life to Jesus at life's end.

Is this approach what a kind and compassionate God would establish for human
salvation?
This approach to salvation and Ethics appears to be a system established by
human beings to comfort and excuse those engaging in the worst behavior.  A
religion, perhaps, for warriors who after the sadism of the battle, wish to
believe they will find forgiveness and salvation despite the horror of their
actions.

And Carl, the Parmesan faction rules!  If you doubt this absolute truth, you
will not find salvation, no matter how nice a guy you are, how many times
you bring humor into our lives!

Ted Moffett