[Vision2020] Firearms - Dangerous or Useful?

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 28 11:06:22 PDT 2007

Dan,

I never said Hamilton had any 'full-automatic' weapons. I used the term 'automatic,'
which I intended to cover either semi- or full-automatic weapons. Given your response,
though, I suppose this is not standard usage.

Any way, as reported by the Spokesman Review: "Investigators said they found two
semi-automatic weapons -- one an AK-47 beside Hamilton in the church and in the
parking lot a M1A rifle." Here is the website:

http://www.spokesman.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=9959

So just insert the phrase 'semi-' in my paragraph if it makes the point clearer.

Also, Hamilton's psychological background was far from 'alleged.' It was pretty well
known, as the Spokesman article and others have pointed out. In fact, "Because Hamilton
had been found guilty of domestic battery, it was illegal for him to own firearms." (See
above article.) Certainly I think you'll agree that in this case the courts had the right to say.

No doubt that is a separate issue, for whether or not they had the right, they did say. It is
just that their decision was not carried out. And the real issue is, Could they have, should they have said something before he purchased the firearms? This is indeed a sticky issue
but it is precisely the kind of sticky issue with which lawmakers should begin to engage.

Best, Joe